Track day testimonial - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2014, 5:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Track day testimonial

I've been letting my first track day settle into my memory a little while and am ready to share a bit of my experience.

I have recently returned to motorcycling after a 20 year hiatus. I have had my K1300GT for 2 years and decided to give my older brother his first track day experience for his 50th birthday. Ok...it was a bit self serving as it was also my first track day too. He has an R1100RS.

We are both in the Columbia, Md area so I signed us up for Roger Lyles' Motorcycle Excitement at Summit Point, WV in mid May 2014. Being relatively close to us, we rose early from our own beds and commuted there for the day, I trailered my bike with a pickup and my brother rode there. We wanted to be sure that we could get the bikes home if we had a mechanical problem or crash.

Roger runs a very good operation. We wisely signed up for the novice group even though we both grew up riding dirt bikes and have a fair amount of street riding experience.

Our goals for the day were simple, don't crash, don't break anything, go fast and have fun.

I can proudly say that we were 100% successful with our goals!!!

I have from time to time stretched the legs of the K1300GT on the street a few times, pushing into triple digits...110 or 115 but had to roll off as it really isn't safe in the areas I usually get to ride in.

At the track, I was able to unleash the monster within (both me and the bike). I was able to push into corners like I never could on the street. I was also able to push the speed where I hadn't gone before. To be honest....I'm not sure what I got the speedo up to...I'm pretty sure 135 or 140. At that speed on the long straightaway, I could only glance at it very briefly before I felt compelled to focus back on the road and a sharp right hand turn approaching all too quickly. What a fine machine!!

A month later, I can tell you that I feel more comfortable riding on the street knowing what my motorcycle is capable of doing. I also am probably riding a bit slower and more conservatively since I no longer am curious about what it can do....ok, I'm still curious but know that I need to be on the track to do it safely.

I would highly recommend a track day for anyone no matter what they ride. You will learn a lot about your bike and yourself. I'm seriously considering signing up for another track day this fall.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2014, 7:14 am
Addict

make it a hobby and do it often

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2014, 8:01 pm
Noob

Excellent. I spent years racing cars and said when I bought my bike I would not go down the same (expensive) path. But I am getting the bug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode