2005 BMW Motorrad Sales Stats - Record Year - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 5:58 am Thread Starter
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

2005 BMW Motorrad Sales Stats - Record Year

Following are some of the key sales statistics for BMW Motorrad in 2005. These were published in a Spanish article yesterday.

Total units sold worldwide - 97,474 (5.6 % more than 2004 and 18.9 % more revenue with sales of 1.223 billion Euros)

Main market breakdown by motorcycles sold in 2005:
Germany - 24,064
USA - 12,803
Italy - 12,700
Spain - 8,003
Great Britain & Ireland - 5,651
All of Europe combined - 71,920

Number of units sold by bike model

R1200GS - 25,705
R1200RT - 14,538
K1200S & R - 13,665
F650GS - 11,949

Last edited by hdf; Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:48 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:04 am
Statmaster

Interesting. Thanks for finding this!

The number of units sold in the US in 2004 was 13,316. While it may have been a record year worldwide, the US was down. Hmmmmmm....

Between the non-existent marketing from BMW in the US, the closing of dealers, shortage of product, and price hikes, I wonder what the real cause for the downturn might be.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Between the non-existent marketing from BMW in the US,..
I wouldn't say it's completely non-existent. There's usually a one or two page spread in Motorcyclist or Cycle World magazines...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:52 am
Statmaster

Marketing is different than Advertising. I think they overspend on advertising, and end up blowing their wad on events like Trailer Week, or a non-starter events like their Squaw Valley or Biltmore Events. Imagine the kind of dealer coop programs you could develop with all that cash. The programs available for dealers in terms of flooring, coop advertising, consumer programs, etc. are sorely missing.

Just look at what Triumph has done in the past couple years. Hell, they even dropped out of the IMS show and turned the cash into a massive dealer coop program for advertising (i.e., funding a dealer to attend the IMS show themselves and providing a dollar for dollar match, demo trucks, apparel, etc.)

BMW has to quit competing with HD. HD they will never be. They should focus on "being BMW". It works for the car division very well.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:02 pm
"Hey Y'all"

I can explain one .....

Quote:
..........While it may have been a record year worldwide, the US was down. Hmmmmmm................, I wonder what the real cause for the downturn might be.
I can only answer definatively for one bike (OK, maybe two).
  • K1200S - deal was done. Money ready. No tail rack and two half bags, and that was expanded (25 iters expanded! Same as the small RS bag.) It didn't have to be this way. No sale.
  • R1200ST - Even after the wierd headlight, I could own a 505 pound bike again. But it doesn't fit 6'-5" people. Whatever, it only cost BMW a potential sale to forget the K1100LT snafus of years gone by.
  • K1200GT - The thoughts of another 600+ pound bike just do not appeal to me any longer. Any why isn't it beautiful? There should be no doubt.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
They should focus on "being BMW". It works for the car division very well.
I remember those "Ultimate..." BMW car commercials many years back. The Ultimate Driving Machine. In the case of the convertible, the Ultimate Tanning Machine.

A commercial on the tube with Joe Campanella's voice talking about the "Ultimate Riding Machine" would probably do the trick.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:09 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
In the case of the convertible, the Ultimate Tanning Machine.
ROTFLMAO!!! That's a good one. Never heard that one before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode