Oil thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Question Oil thread

Never started one of these but got to looking at the 12gs and k12s owners manuals
for oil specs and common ground. I noted that the oil API specs for the oils are identical,
but the k12s manual specifically mentions that viscosity 20w-whatever oils were
not to be used while the GS allows 20w-50. Both can use SAE 40 though. So why no 20w-X ? Closer tolerances or something?

Just did my first oil change on the k12s this weekend. Got one of these marine (tempo)

on sale from here and it cleared out the oil tank in about a minute, 3 quarts exactly. refilled with Castro Syntec 10w-40. Couldn't use the GS wrench even though they use the same filter, not enough room. Got a a strap wrench instead for $6 that worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:14 am
Enthusiast

BMW finally has said the use of 20w50 synthetic is ok in K12S.

Pete
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:12 am

Most damage to the engine is done on startup when the oil is cold. Many auto vendors are moving to 5W 30 as the appropriate viscosity to prevent this. I would expect that BMW engineers will be designing bikes to use lighter viscosity oil soon. --Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Question different oil grades

I think this thread should become a discussion pretaining to how different grades effect our motors.

I know some synthetic grades are 0W50. Although, I would be hard pressed to use this in our bike. I have some notion the oil would break down rapidly, shorten its life span. I think Jerry is correct that most damage is down while the engine is cold.

From what I understand the 2 numbers on the oil weight refer to the visocity while the oil is cold and hot, respectively. As mentioned before, most dammage occurs during startup, I would imagine you want an oil that is free-flowing during startup. As the motor heats, it becomes even more fluid and you want to make sure it retains its visocity, hence a higher number while it is hot. Just a thought!

ONON-
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode