Record M/C Deaths @ 'Bike Week' - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down Record M/C Deaths @ 'Bike Week'

Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History
18 Deaths Most in 65 years

(CBS4 News) DAYTONA BEACH Bike Week in Daytona beach ends today, and this yearís event will go down in history as the deadliest gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts in the eventís 65 year history.

18 motorcyclists have died in the past nine days, three more than the previous deadliest Bike Week in 2000. The Florida Highway Patrol says three bikers died in separate accidents Saturday, and four died on Friday.

Tens of thousands of bikers flock to Daytona each spring for the event, which celebrates motorcycles and bike culture. The FHP is blaming sunnie skies and good weather for the increase in deaths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy
The FHP is blaming sunny skies and good weather for the increase in deaths.
No mention of lack of helmets?

02 K12RS (Molested)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Or use of alcohol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Veteran

Thumbs down

What a surprise.. Drinking .. motorcycles.. and no helmets...Who'd a thunk it?

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Not to mention that the Stanley Steamer carpet cleaner turned into three touring motor cyclists wearing helmets,killing one and the other two are in bad shape or worse. I'm not positive but I think all but one were caused by lousy auto/truck drivers. And of course the total disregard of traffic laws or common courtesy.Do you want to talk about morons on motorcycles,go to Deals Gap.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:58 am
Addict

ditto

true dat! virtually all deaths last week were by motorist carelessness. a few of those dumfucks go to jail for vehicular manslaughter and those drivers may get their heads out of their butts. i just dont understand why the state doesnt prosecute that kind of carelessness.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:14 am
Addict

I don't know this event, but we had similar casualties in past Isle of Man TT's. It wasn't the official racing event so much as the racing wanabees on their new bikes trying out the circuit.

I've learned to cope with bad cage drivers most of the time as long as there's an escape route, but on busy highways, it's often the bikers slipping alongside tailing close up behind before I see them that scare me just as much. We have a lot of power and control over most stuff on the highways, but reactions times bike on bike are way to slow.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:59 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy
Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History
18 Deaths Most in 65 years

(CBS4 News) DAYTONA BEACH Bike Week in Daytona beach ends today, and this yearís event will go down in history as the deadliest gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts in the eventís 65 year history.

18 motorcyclists have died in the past nine days, three more than the previous deadliest Bike Week in 2000. The Florida Highway Patrol says three bikers died in separate accidents Saturday, and four died on Friday.

Tens of thousands of bikers flock to Daytona each spring for the event, which celebrates motorcycles and bike culture. The FHP is blaming sunnie skies and good weather for the increase in deaths.
A quibble: Is this exactly how the "news" was portrayed? Without any details on the how and why? If these "news" idiots are looking to stoke general public hostililty towards motorcyclists, it would come as no surprise if they manage to succeed, as the casual reader is more likely to assume that the motorcyclist was at fault in some mishap instead of considering the possibility that someone else might have been the at-fault party.

And "sunny skies and good weather" is really to blame? Uhhh, I think not.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Addict

Yes we seem to take the blame for news wanting 'sensational' copy. Of course there were a lot of bikers in one place, whereas if they had been killed across several States at different times, it might be a normal statistic and not worth reporting. If the statistics showed that all State bike accidents fell during Daytona Week - would you expect the press to report favorably that more events would reduce accidents - I think not. In any large gathering event there will be a greater chance of bad things happening, concerts with drugs, poor crowd control etc. I have some sympathy for your patrol guys and medics who have this to deal with - whoever is responsible.

Over here we have been late starting our biker season due to poor weather. Dealers are already saying sales are down. Biker accidents usually go up about now, because many riders packed their bikes away last season and are re-learning their road skills, whilst newbies (and many 'born agains') are out riding for the first time on what they learned to get their license.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Same over here

In the Netherlands it is much the same - we have wet and unpleasant winters. This means that in the first nice weekend of the year, usually somewhere in april, at least four bikers die in accidents. Car drivers are not used to bikes, because they have not seen them for four months, the bikers are not used to the power they have, opposed to the cars they have been driving through winter - and there you go. It happens every year and as a fulltime biker I try not to use the bike the first good weekends. Way too dangerous with all ZXR's, GSXR's and other R's out for the first time. (yes, I am speeding most of the time as well - but I do it everyday)

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode