Additives - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2015, 11:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Additives

I've owned a small auto repair shop since 1964 and generally we shy away from chemical additives (mechanics in a can) However I recently tried both Red Line fuel system cleaner (pn60103) and LiquiMoly transmission additive (pn lm2019) in my "92 K75s. I noticed differences immediately. The backfire on partial throttle was nearly eliminated and shifting was noticeably smoother and the transmission quieter-among other things. I have a friend who runs a R90s and a R100rs , I'm going to get some more of these products and see if he'll try them. If anyone else has tried these products and noticed similar improvements I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2015, 6:13 pm
Noob

I have 2006 K1200R. I switched to Amsoil and shifting is now smooth from loud clunk.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2015, 6:22 am
Addict

I had an old EFi car that came back with a marginal emissions test fail. The shop suggested an engine injection cleaner additive which I was very skeptical about. They work by raising the combustion temperature and burning off gummy carbon.

I ran the car tank down to reserve then added the stuff, followed by 16 miles at 3-4K rpm. The engine felt a lot smoother and the emissions test the following day showed a big improvement whilst mpg went up about 2mpg.

I've never had a problem on the bike, but it depends what kind of mileages you do. Frequent cold stop starts will start clogging things up and most Ks are rarely ridden to their max horsepower. I found out the major constituent of most engine cleaners is cheap Xylene. I put about 400ml in a full gas tank before a long trip and the big K has seemed well and smooth since.

When I did a second tear down on my rear drive to investigate loss of pre-load and play, I cut open the bearing and didn't like the friction scuffing I saw on the bearing parts. I don't know whether it will give better mileage on the new bearing, but I added about 2ml of Moly additive to the RD oil. Despite what they say, I wouldn't use it on trannis with synchromesh, but I see no issue like that with the RD.

I don't believe in additives as a fix all solution, but sensibly considered I think they can be useful. if you have diesel cars with DPF, additives could save you an expensive repair if you use them before the DPF has a chance to get full to MIL light on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2015, 7:51 am
Veteran

On occasions, I add a little BMW-branded Fuel Additive with Techron to the fuel tank. It seems to make a difference. According to a lot of friends and other sources, the BMW brand of Techron is a better buy than the cheap Walmart Techron. The BMW brand contains a considerably higher concentrate of Techron and is more effective. It doesn't take much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode