Deer & animal avoidance systems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Deer & animal avoidance systems

Our local Utah/Wyoming mountains have a lot of wild life (elk, deer, etc.), plus a good bit of free range livestock (cows, sheep). Never drive at dusk/night because of this, but the free range animals frequently trespass on the roads even in daylight, while the wildlife is drawn to same once the mountain shadows cover the road as early as 3 pm in some areas. Plus there are those occasional misplanned trips where I find myself miles from home with dusk/night approaching.

Does anybody have any experience with the deer/animal avoidance systems on the market? I know Hornet makes an electrical system that emits a high pitch sound to scare the animals away, and I've seen others that work simply with airflow. Does anyone know if any of these systems are effective or know of another type that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm
Veteran

the only thing that i have heard is that they only get the attention of the deer and that when a dear is grazing on the side of the road i think the last thing you would want to do is get his attention.....as far as running deer i dont think it would make a diff.....there on a mission....and nothing seems to change thier mind....think about it.....running in the road with semi trucks and cars ....i would think that if that noise wont stop them nothing will....i think alot of that stuff is just hype....and the fact that your doing say 70 mph...there not going to hear it intime and most likly until you pass...those kinda things i have heard....and how would you test it anyways...best thing i think is a sharp eye and pay attention....one eye on the asphalt and one eye in the grass...i do it everyday...youll know where every broken bottle and roadside reflector is after a while....just stay sharp!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
Veteran

the other thing that works well is a 12 gauge mounted on the bars.....officer it was self deffence!....good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:02 pm
Addict

I had read some time ago of a test on some of those deer warning sound devices.

it said the deer can not hear that noise, maybe some dogs can.

I think we all should carry shotguns and shoot any size deer we see at any time.
We have why too many in the USA. They have become dangerous for us.

screw Bambie.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 6:36 am
Enthusiast

Talking re: Deer and animal avoidance systems (French solution)

Seems the French have come up with an ingenius way to prevent collisions
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...988381&pl=true

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 2:50 pm
Veteran

bmw has come up with a forward infrared night vision sys. that covers 1000 ft at 60 mph...with wide angle and zoom.....great idea but $$$$...i guess if you can have evrything else on the gadget tree might be enough room for the f.i.r. unit...would be nice in an heads up display

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode