Origin of BMW roundel? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Origin of BMW roundel?

The prevalent story is that it represents a propeller spinning against the sky. Is this actually a fact or myth, just representing the blue and white colors of Bavaria?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:21 am

It is fact. If you are interested here is a link http://www.flyingbrick.de. Click the BMW factory for a brief history. The rest of the site is also quite interesting.

05 K1200GT Titanium Silver Metallic
I'm living well above my means, but far below my standards.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 6:39 am

Fact,

On 20 July 1917 the Bavarian Motor Works (Bayerische Motoren Werke) was registered, intent on producing the Max Friz redesign of the Karl Rapp six cylinder aircraft engine, denoted the BMW IIIa. The engine was used in the Fokker D.VII fighter plane. The rotating propellor trademark was registered at the Imperial Patents Office on 5 October 1917.

The Bavarian Aircraft Works (Bayerische Flugzeug Werke - formerly Otto Works) was the other part of the company, and was incorporated on 5 June 1922. The old Bavarian Aircraft Works site is still the site for Plant 1 of BMW AG.

Interestingly, Max Friz, the designer of the BMW IIIa aircraft engine, was also the father of the BMW boxer motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 7:13 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Rondel origins

I would truly like to believe the origin of the rondel has to do with a stylized spinning prop. I read a fairly exhaustively researched article online once (I wish I could remember where, but I can't), which said there was no evidence to prove the story one way or the other. With all respect to the other posters and especially about flyingbrick.de, that's a private website and just one person's opinion, and I don't see any evidence there either. I'm not here to argue... if someone can offer up an official source which proves the story, I would sincerely like to see it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:58 am
Just saying hey

BMW Badge

When I went to BMW Auto Training thats what they told us
Will try to find more info about this
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSand
Fact,

On 20 July 1917 the Bavarian Motor Works (Bayerische Motoren Werke) was registered, intent on producing the Max Friz redesign of the Karl Rapp six cylinder aircraft engine, denoted the BMW IIIa. The engine was used in the Fokker D.VII fighter plane. The rotating propellor trademark was registered at the Imperial Patents Office on 5 October 1917.

The Bavarian Aircraft Works (Bayerische Flugzeug Werke - formerly Otto Works) was the other part of the company, and was incorporated on 5 June 1922. The old Bavarian Aircraft Works site is still the site for Plant 1 of BMW AG.

Interestingly, Max Friz, the designer of the BMW IIIa aircraft engine, was also the father of the BMW boxer motorcycle.
This is correct, and well documented. One thing that should be mentioned is that not only does the logo represent a spinning propellor, but they chose the colors to be the official colors of the "state" (province) of Bavaria. The blue and white colors are near and dear to Bavarians and are referred to there as the "Weissblau" (white blue).

Bob.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSand
Fact,

Not trying to be difficult, but was the trademark described as a propeller? It could have simply been a graphic design using the Bavarian colors; was there a description of what it was symbolizing?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 7:29 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer
It is fact. If you are interested here is a link http://www.flyingbrick.de. Click the BMW factory for a brief history. The rest of the site is also quite interesting.
Steve an excerpt from the site listed states
Quote:
"...did not manufacture motorcycles all the time. The “Bavarian Aircraft Works AG” were founded 1916 by Max Friz and Karl Rapp, two young engineers. In 1917, Max Friz (who was formerly an employee of Daimler) renamed his company “Bavarian Motor Works” (BMW) and already produced BMW make aircraft engines. Two years later, an BMW engine-equipped Biplane even set up the world record for the flight altitude at 9700 meters (which is almost the cruising altitude of today´s aircraft!). Since this time the BMW emblem shows the well-known stylized white propeller at the blue sky."
Note the last sentence.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Talking

OK....What if the propeller is spinning at night? Is it still a BMW?
Muuuhhahahahahahahaha....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Sent an e-mail to BMW Motorrad USA and got this reply:

Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the BMW logo. We appreciate your interest in our brand.

BMW began in the early 1900s as an airplane engine manufacturer, and the blue and white roundel suggests a rotating propeller in a blue sky. Today, the emblem signifies the BMW Group, a global company that produces hundreds of thousands of motorcycles and cars.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours
are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
BMW Motorrad USA

I also sent an e-mail to BMW Motorrad in Germany and got this:

Dear Mr Carlton,

Thank you for your email.

The propeller story is a myth which originates from the 1930's. The real story can be found at the attached file. It describes the current state of research regarding the BMW logo.

We hope this is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,
BMW Mobile Tradition
Group Archives

Andreas Harz

phone: +49 (0) 89/382-68 281
fax: +49 (0) 89/382-24 765
email: [email protected]
URL: http://www.historicalarchive.bmw.com

Last edited by Steve_Carlton; Apr 7th, 2006 at 11:51 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode