The Indians are Attacking! (Really - Spam from India) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2015, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Veteran

The Indians are Attacking! (Really - Spam from India)

There is someone from India who are spamming k-bikes.com. They are flooding the Bike Talk forum in particular, but other forums as well. The messages all have signatures with a solid line, then a short text web link below it. The links vary.

"Davidwatson" is the most prolific, but there is also "shagarg48" and "ra_10923". They appear to be the same person. Their goal is to put their web links in front of us and get us to click on them. Don't.

I suspect they are manually created, and the person is paid by the number of forum posts they get away with. Sometimes they make a half-hearted attempt to be subject-relevant or cut and paste text from the Internet that appears relevant, but they are not really participating in our community.

I keep flagging the messages, and have sent a message to the k-bikes administrator, but so far nothing has been done. Clearly, k-bikes.com has been on "autopilot" for a week or so. I hope the admins wake up soon. I have been active on k-bikes.com for eight years. I hate to see it fall apart, where the real messages drown in a sea of spam.

In the meantime, I urge everyone to:

* Avoid responding to any of their messages.
* Avoid clicking any of the links.
* Flag the messages for the admins.

If one of you knows how to get in touch with the admins more directly by phone or personal email, now is the time to do it.

-- XMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Enthusiast

I contacted Admin as well, about a week ago. Just you and I bud, commenting on this, so far.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2015, 3:02 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwatson
If I am doing advertise, what,s it impact on you, could you please explain, why you making this a issue, everybody knows forums are commonly used for creating links, even a single post I doesn,t hurt any personal image or any country, all the post I make, it,s all about bike relevant.

To be straightforward, you don,t have right to say I am doing spam
This is the one and only time I will respond to you directly.

I am making this an issue because your posts are filling the forums, interfering with the other forum members to respond to each other with genuinely helpful posts and communications. This is the impact to me and the other forum members. That is why your posts are unwelcome here.

Spam is defined as "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients." That is an excellent description of what you are doing.

This thread is not about you or your country, it is about your interference with the normal activities here. Your posts may be "bike relevant", but they are not appropriate for k-bikes.com. There is a significant difference. It is obvious that your sole intent is to display your "links", not engage in worthwhile communications. The one and only exception is your note above, which is why I am responding.

To be straightforward, of course I have a right to say you are doing spam.

Please go away. Come back when you are ready to participate and contribute to k-bikes.com in the same meaningful way as the other members. That is all I have to say to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2015, 3:43 pm
Addict-oholic

Amen.No, how do we get him out of here? The Admins certainly can block his messages from his ISP.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2015, 5:24 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks to dohalloran and larrykay for their kind words of support.

After posting my response, I did further research. I learned that a few years ago, k-bikes.com was sold to a large firm that owns many enthusiast websites. The company is called VerticalScope. I found their contact information and left a message there.

This morning I received a reply from someone in VerticalScope Customer Services. They asked how we tried to contact administration for k-bikes.com, and I told them that I used the red triangles and the Contact Us link at the bottom of the web pages. They informed me that those feed into a common general queue for all of the VerticalScope websites, which is currently backlogged. He suggested sending a PM to the administrator account to get a faster response. I am not sure which is the "administrator" account.

They also told me that they had seen this thread and taken care of the problem. They promised to watch for similar issues more carefully. I note that Davidwatson is now listed as "banned". I have not had the time to look at the other "spammy" accounts. They said that in addition to banning the accounts, they also blocked the offending source IP address, and were looking into adding additional protections, but did not describe what they are.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2015, 10:49 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Addendum: I just learned that the administrator is Voxmagna.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode