Race a cage in the twisties? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Race a cage in the twisties?

Personally, I think it's a bad idea...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 9:07 pm

The cage has a wider margin of error if something goes wrong. If you spin out, you don't fall down in a cage.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:12 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
The cage has a wider margin of error if something goes wrong. If you spin out, you don't fall down in a cage.
Besides, it is pretty well proven that a car is able to sustain higher cornering speed (or at least higher cornering g-forces) than a bike, generally speaking.

Mind you, a Mustang with its fairly crude suspension is hardly a paragon of excellence for handling. If it were something that could actually go around a corner like a Porsche, there wouldn't be much of a contest.

Acceleration? Now that's a different story... at least at anything below 200 -230 km/h or so, above which any bike's crappy drag coefficient puts it at a disadvantage.

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWILSON
Besides, it is pretty well proven that a car is able to sustain higher cornering speed (or at least higher cornering g-forces) than a bike, generally speaking.

Mind you, a Mustang with its fairly crude suspension is hardly a paragon of excellence for handling. If it were something that could actually go around a corner like a Porsche, there wouldn't be much of a contest.

Acceleration? Now that's a different story... at least at anything below 200 -230 km/h or so, above which any bike's crappy drag coefficient puts it at a disadvantage.

Bob.
Totally agree.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:59 pm
Enthusiast

a local hotshoe in a hemi-dodge pickup truck will wax your ass or kill you trying........
definately not a good idea

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:13 am

The G-force sustained in corners simply boils down to rubber on the road. The cage has four points about the size of a small pizza and the bike has two points the size of tennis balls. You can also dirt track the cage around and hang it out. Dirt tracking a bike all but disappeared when the bias tire was replaced with radials. Radials stick like heck and then let go.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:21 am
Addict

I learned the only way to make a good showing is to use the fact that the bike can( usually) out brake and out accelerate the car. Years ago I was very surprised by a guy in a Trans Am!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

I was just kidding about racing that Mustang. I was really fishing to see if you'd notice it's the Shelby Cobra GT500 that doesn't go on sale until June-July. Same engine as the Ford GT, making around 475hp in the Mustang. I came across it on a photoshoot for Ford on my local twisties. Ford hired these guys to take some pics to give to the magazines. Pulled over and asked if I could take some pics and they said no problem. The driver actually offered to swap with me, which was flattering. Some more...

Strangely enough, two days later my uncle from Portland stopped by on his way home from visiting his daughter in college, in his brand new Roush Stage 3 (supercharged)...

He thinks he'll sell it maybe in a year, so I'm fantasizing about picking up a bargain...

Of course, one must grab the keys for a test drive first...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:50 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
a local hotshoe in a hemi-dodge pickup truck will wax your ass or kill you trying........
Probably the latter.

Bob.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:08 pm

I may be all alone on this but here's what usually happens to me. Some guy in a new 'Vet or whatever sees me and nails it. I'll follow him close enough for him to know I'm there but far enough away that if he looses it he won't take me out.

I've found, almost without exception, they can't keep the pace and usually flag me to go by after a few minutes.

I've always thought the intensity was too high for most people to carry on more than 3 to 5 minutes. It appears to be mental fatigue.

When most cars are loosing traction I'm still not scraping things, however. These are really twisty roads I'm talking about. Most cars seem to start to struggle before you get to triple the posted limit.

In the canyons where I live I see this as the other way around. I have yet to run up on a car that can keep pace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode