K12r - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Cool K12r

I have 600 miles on my new K12R. It handles as good as my SL1000 Aprilia and is fast (9K RPM once honest). First service is comming up. The only problem is that it starts very hard when cold. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:18 am

When his customers complained about the same problem, Ettore Bugatti said: 'then store it in a warm place'.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:02 am

My KR is doing a little dance with me when trying to start it, as well. It takes more three times for it to come to life and stay there lately. It didn't do this until just now; since bringing her home a couple of weeks ago, it would start and stay running at the first flick. I've owned a bunch of different bikes but this is the first that would tease me with cranking and then sputtering dead after a second or so.
It's a little annoying but so far, not worth mentioning to a dealer. It might just be me getting aquainted with the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 4:11 pm

I had the same problem. Simple fix is to immediately give it a "LITTLE" gas as soon as the engine turns over. Keep giving it gas for about 10-15 seconds, let go and it keeps running. I started it throughout the winter, in freezing temps., and my bike hasn't stalled once using this method. But, if I do forget the above, it stalls.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Mine often stalls once (after sitting overnight) unless I do what Alan Brothers recommends.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll give that a try tonight.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Bry
Enthusiast

Pretty much the same, when it's cold, give a little throttle (hold slightly open) for a couple of secs, then it'll die down to a lumpy idle till it smooths out..

Hit the button alone and it'll die a couple of times...

Bry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 2:54 am
Veteran

there is a post on the k1200r site discussing this problem. the dealer explained it as the computer "learning" is what another reader said. it learns the habits of the rider and the amount of fuel required at start up. my dealer said to let the bike start itself. i have about 2000 miles on my k12r and the motor starts up nicely now and hasn't stalled in the last 3 months. there is also another post on the k12r forum explaining the process to reboot the computer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2006, 1:30 pm
Addict

I never had the cold start problem.
I will turn the key on, then turn the kill switch to the run position with the side stand up so the fuel pump will run and pressurize the system, I give it about five seconds.
Then push the start button. I never give it any throttle.

When I have not started the bike for a week or longer I will put the trans. in gear with the side stand down so it will not get fuel. I then push the start button to spin the engine and get oil press. Then I shift to neutral and put the side stand up, wait five seconds to build fuel pressure and again push the start button, so it will start will oil though out the engine.

Bazra
aka; The Flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode