Special Orders - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 4:20 am Thread Starter
nuK
Noob

Special Orders

I'm having a difficult time specifying a special order K1200R with S wheels. Why? The local dealers are telling me they have no control over the wheels. How can this be? I'm told there was a running change for the R bikes in 06 where the S wheel styles were substituted with the current offering which I detest. I'm told if I want S wheels I must purchase them separately. Ridiculous. For 1k+/corner I could contract HRE, RDsport, or performance machine for forged rotors. A large number of 05/06 bikes were shipped with S wheels so why can't they just grab a set and put them on for me?

These delays just may cost BMW a sale. I've got 2 999's in town, brand new ready to go right now for same money. I really like the K12R but the delays of waiting until August for the 07 build cycle and a Oct delivery are wearing thin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:50 pm Thread Starter
nuK
Noob

Your silence speaks volumes and I hear you loud and clear. It's just nuts BMW can't offer both sets of wheels for either bike as an std. option and I know I have the full support of the entire forum. The gratitude I feel for everyone here is genuine and overwhelming.

BMW of Ujean, OR has my bike but with ESA & ABS, darn.

Anyone besides ACS have aftermarket BMW wheels for the K12S/R?

Thanks, I've already said too much. We all know what each other is thinking anyway, so be safe and keep the rubber side down.

nuK
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:57 pm Thread Starter
nuK
Noob

I'm happy to say I'm not a BMW K1200R owner.

After following the threads here since early this year it sure sounds as though the K12 series has too many problems. Very much like the e32 and e65 cars. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones owning 92 750iL and 850i after all the V12 gremlins were sorted by mid 1990 after the 1996 release of the e32 body style. All these K12 software revisions sound so hauntingly familiar to standard BMW beta testing protocols upon the general public. The e65 crowd I felt so sorry for. Highest number of lemon buy backs in BMW history.

I waited as long as I could and tried to work with 3 dealers to no avail. The dealers located in Eugene & Portland Oregon, and Tacoma Washington all seem to lack the service quality I expected from a new purchase. If you give them your requirements and there's no immediate match in the BMW warehouse or at another dealer, you'll likely never hear from them again. The Eugene dealer was the best of the three, but lacked the finite experience I needed to successfully order my bike.

To bring this story to a close, I bought 2 Aprilia V twins for the price of 1 K12 and couldn't be happier. Both 2002, 1 Falco & 1 RSVR Mille.

I'd still like to own a K12 but I'll put it off for 3 years and wait it out until BMW can bring a good product to the market place.

The only grief I now have is waiting a long agonizing month until my custom order Langlitz Cascade jacket is built. They have a special pocket in the left side armpit where "you can put your weed in there"

nuK OUT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Want some cheese with that..................
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2006, 8:41 am
Enthusiast

I can understand your frustration with not getting what you want, but how successful would you have been with any brand regarding that request? I know as far as the Jap bikes go a dealer would have laughed if you asked them for different wheels. The dealers should have been more helpful, but they truly may not have had the ability to get the bike/wheel combo you wanted. Enjoy your new rides though!

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuK
I'm happy to say I'm not a BMW K1200R owner.

After following the threads here since early this year it sure sounds as though the K12 series has too many problems. Very much like the e32 and e65 cars. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones owning 92 750iL and 850i after all the V12 gremlins were sorted by mid 1990 after the 1996 release of the e32 body style. All these K12 software revisions sound so hauntingly familiar to standard BMW beta testing protocols upon the general public. The e65 crowd I felt so sorry for. Highest number of lemon buy backs in BMW history.

I waited as long as I could and tried to work with 3 dealers to no avail. The dealers located in Eugene & Portland Oregon, and Tacoma Washington all seem to lack the service quality I expected from a new purchase. If you give them your requirements and there's no immediate match in the BMW warehouse or at another dealer, you'll likely never hear from them again. The Eugene dealer was the best of the three, but lacked the finite experience I needed to successfully order my bike.

To bring this story to a close, I bought 2 Aprilia V twins for the price of 1 K12 and couldn't be happier. Both 2002, 1 Falco & 1 RSVR Mille.

I'd still like to own a K12 but I'll put it off for 3 years and wait it out until BMW can bring a good product to the market place.

The only grief I now have is waiting a long agonizing month until my custom order Langlitz Cascade jacket is built. They have a special pocket in the left side armpit where "you can put your weed in there"

nuK OUT!
Wow.

I did notice that none of the items in your list of ownership were bought new. Why didn't you go grab those new 999's that were ready to go instead of those two used bikes? I don't know you from Adam, but the way you write your story you seem like one of those "customers" that has a dealer jump through a ton of hoops and then never opens up their checkbook.

Brian

Last edited by bnblazer; Nov 18th, 2006 at 6:57 pm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter
nuK
Noob

I didn't purchase the 999's because I never truly wanted them. I wanted a K12R. The Ducati dealer in PDX has everything you want with all the options or none. If they don't have it, they'll get it in short order. Their customer service was awesome in spite of the fact I told them my first choice was a K12R. How is a duc dealer so well informed and equiped while BMW with their infrasturture is so paralysed?

Honestly I don't know what happened at Portland Motorcycle. They acted as though I didn't have the money, when all I brought to the table was cash for full payment. I wanted the hurricane style wheels. "Kiwi" never called Motorrad, checked BMW inventory, or cross checked other dealers inventories to see if a non ABS/ESA equiped bike was on this continent in my color. I never heard from him again. I stopped by 2 weeks later to check on his progress, to which he reported that none had occurred. Business must be good for Kiwi.

Next stop. BMW of Western Oregon. Drove down 2 hours to Eugene after exchanging emails with Scott to check out his store, etc. His crux was my specification of hurricane wheels. He called Motorrad and found 2 bikes in South Florida with the exception of the wheels they were a perfect match.

Both dealers were instructed to special order an 07 if necessary but it was beyond both dealers to determine how to specify this option when the option sheet at the time only said "sport tyres". After reading a few threads here months later, it became apparent that when a customer specifies sport tyres you automatically receive the the wheels too. This education didn't occur until early to mid summer. I figured this out from K-bike forum members, not from the 2 dealers who are supposed to have a direct pipeline from Motorrad NA. How many times have I read where you're tellling techs how to install software updates and the cases of forum members being more educated on the bikes than the techs in the dealers grows everyday.

Finally after reading a similar situation from Titanium 5, I called the salesman he used to purchase his bike from in Tacoma, WA. I've never heard from this guy after our initial phone call of 20 minutes.

All salesmen were informed I have cash in hand to purchase or special order an 07 bike. Had any one of them come through I'd be among you today. Why do I have to chase people to drop 15-18k in dead presidents into their lap? I never expected the 07 to come equipped with the hurricane wheels without an upcharge. I was willing to pay a minor fee. Titianium 5 was one of the first to unravel this mysterie. I was not going to tolerate a 2K upcharge. In this range of boutique pricing you can take your pick of forged wheel makers. Why buy cast Brembos at this price? Titanium 5 figured out a way to get this done so I called on his salesmen and you see where that got me.

From the car end, you can go through BMW individual or set up a European delivery, or choose from 30 different wheel packages at a fraction of the cost of what those wheel/tyre packages would cost coming through the parts dept. I was not asking anything extraordinary, unless communication to keep me informed of what my available options were, is way above the call of duty.

I found it amazing that I was never contacted to tell me when the 07 K12R build cycle was to initiate. I learned about it here.

Oh well, it's all good. I'm glad I didn't get the K12R. The Aprilias are problem free and do not require lobotomies every so often. And the two KTM dirtbikes I purchased last year brand new each are also available to take my mind off of the maladies of everyday life when necessary.

BMW & their dealers should have performed to a higher standard if they wanted this sale. They didn't so I didn't.

nuK
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 8:40 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuK
BMW & their dealers should have performed to a higher standard if they wanted this sale. They didn't so I didn't.
nuK

Sounds like you'll both be happier with that decision.

Mike
'06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode