Starter Relay Dilemma - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2016, 10:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Starter Relay Dilemma

1998 K1200RS. Had low battery situation which caused the relay contact weld typical I guess for my bike. Replaced battery and hooked up leads to see if I could figure out which relay was the starter. Dash lit up, low beam and lights came on...and starter did not. The starter came on whenever power was supplied regardless of key position (relay contacts welded) before I got new battery or when charger, which tripped out, was applied

Two questions:
Should I put it back together and assume my relay contacts are ok?
Should I replace the starter relay with the "retrofit kit" for a measly $200

I can't even figure out which relay is the starter, if I could I may try to source it somewhere else. Clymer no help, but there are sure are some pretty colored relays in the electronic control box under the tank. None, however with bolted connections or larger wires (like red ones).

Thanks ahead of time, i'd appreciate any advice and guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2016, 8:39 am
Addict

Not sure if your present fault condition is starter running when battery is connected/ignition on (relay contacts welded) or dash lights come on, ignition on but starter won't turn -perhaps relay contacts 'exploded'.

The starter relay does not look like those small dinky plug in relays in the electrical box. It is the large 'thing' nearby that has very large (black) cables bolted to it. The modified relay as far as I know is NOT a heavy duty version of what is already in there. It has some electronics bolted on which detect lowish battery voltages and stops the relay operating. A cheap way to get around the problem without the expense of a heavier duty relay. The starter relay can usually be opened up and you can unstick or clean the contacts.

MY97 has never had any of these problems because the bike is always parked in my driveway on a trickle tender 24/7 connected to the accessory socket. Buying a tender is cheaper and gets better battery life than replacing the relay!

I think there are 4 ways I might go:
1. Open up the relay to see if it can be repaired.
2. Find and fit a good used relay, then always tender the battery 24/7.
3. See if there is a stronger car starter relay that will fit in the space.
4. Buy the modified/improved OEM.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2016, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Resolved

I was able to source the original relay from Bosch in Atlanta via a local foreign auto
Parts dealer for $59.00. Original relay contacts weren't too burned, so I figured if I can get 18 years out of this one I should be good.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2017, 7:17 am
Noob

Thanks to you, I solved this problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode