Do you think BMW is advertising properly - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Do you think BMW is advertising properly

I feel that BMW is missing a large segment of the population by not advertising to the younger crowd for the KR and KS models.
I am 26 years old and like everyone I have talked to did not know BMW made bikes like the KR and KS until I caught a little article about the KR and then looked further into it and feel in love with it and got one.

Also with BMW not racing in any major racing series also hurts them also.

That is my two cents does anyone else have any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 9:12 am

Good point - My two cents

scott

As I said you have a good point, but here is the thing. Again this is just my opinion. I am 33 years old and have had BMW's since I was 29 cars and bikes. I am German/Brazilian (yeah what a mix) and I live in the US for 14 years now.

BMW Motorrad is ran pretty much 90% by germans, and like myself germans are pretty stubborn hard headed people, therefore the marketing division for Motorrad has one thing that is written ALL over their faces, minds, sticky notes and project plans.

The AGE and FINANCIAL demographics of the people that buy their bikes. And guess what my friend, you and I ARE NOT on that age group, financially I have an LT and RS you have a KR now so we fit but AGE wise we do not.

So with that said they will not cave and try to lure in younger "financially able" buyers, they still target the older "financially able" buyers. Half of the guys I work with and are my age think that I am crazy riding around on BMW's and dropping the $$$ for them, just to realize that the Star's, Victory's, HD's and Honda's they ride cost as much as a K1200R, or even R1200RT or GS.

A co-worker of mine just dropped 19K on a Victory, when I told him he could have bought a brand new 2005 LT for that he flipped.

My two cents........ They are awsome bikes aren't they. I sold my RS and I think by the end of the year I will have a K1200R for Urban Assaults.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

you are right.

I am not saying market it to the 18-20 crowd.
Where I hang out there are people well I will just say older then me, people there that arn't cruiser people that have no idea about what BMW produces. I feel that are missing out on alot of people by not advertising.

You see an ad for the GS but that is it. If they put in alittle money is showing of the KR and KS at least I think there would be increase in the lookers at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:50 am
Statmaster

Since my involvement with BMW motorcycles since 1999, I can say that in my opinion, BMW has NEVER done advertising correctly with the motorcycle division. It's interesting that for the past 7 years how many BMW ads in magazines, radio, and television go unnoticed.

But even worse is BMW's marketing -- or more like anti-marketing. No co-op marketing with the dealer base, poor brand imaging, and their choice of event marketing has been abysmal (anyone remember the failed Squaw Valley or Biltmore events?).

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 2:24 pm
Addict

Just a few random thoughts:

Perhaps they don't want the 20's something hotheads burning themselves out, their insurance and BMW's reputation? I discovered the other day that an 18year old getting in a cage after passing the test pays about $1700 in UK for minimum insurance on a minimum cage to get on the road. What chance a KRS?

If I remember about their cars, my feeling was their cars were fast and safe with a lot of emphasis on 'safe' now everybody believes bikes aren't the safest vehicles on the road and a superbike like the K can be pretty lethal in the wrong sort of hands.

We all see the big Jap bikes and the Duc's crashing on tracks even bursting into flames (oh no not QD's again). Would a manufacturer with anything of a safety image in its Marque or promotion be comfortable with the more competitive risky racing side of promotion and be happy with that target audience? Come to think of it, I've never seen HD's in competitive track racing either - can they get round the laps? what's the problem?

BMW's car image seemed to change when their models became cheaper, affordable and the no 1 choice for car jacking. Fashion has driven their cars image, but I'm not sure it's quite what they wanted. Look at BMW sports cars, are you aware of them and are they popular? I don't hear or see many. Perhaps they are just too expensive and there are better alternatives for less money.

I read that BMW's problem at the moment seems to be consistency of quality and reliability across their products. I think customers are finding deals on new Korean and Japanese cars with 5 year warranty and servicing thrown in, pretty attractive and an endorsement of how reliable the manufacturers think their products will be. Try getting that on a bike costing about the same!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 4:23 pm
Veteran

ya know its kinda nice that when your riding and you see a bmw out of 200 other bikes that pass....its nice to know that its not a trend and its not because everyone else has one...up here in nh its all hardlys.......nice to know that bmw has not got to the point of "sales sales bye bye"..and dont think for a moment that they dont know how to sell in "bulk".....its just that there is something more meaningful than that......for me thats says alot!...my 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode