Battery Tender Plus - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Battery Tender Plus

Hmmm.. I have a Battery Tender Plus, and I just plugged it into my '03KRS which hasn't been ridden in two weeks, and and the tender immediately went to green. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, same thing. What does that mean? I need a new tender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 8:10 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Hmmm.. I have a Battery Tender Plus, and I just plugged it into my '03KRS which hasn't been ridden in two weeks, and and the tender immediately went to green. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, same thing. What does that mean? I need a new tender?
I'd start the bike, and if it starts like it was run yesterday, you're good. The only drain would be the clock in stock form, and maybe you have a good, strong battery. If the bike cranks over slowly or sluggishly, you may have a suspect battery first, tender second.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2006, 5:36 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Starts right up

Yeah, the bike starts right up. I didn't expect that I had a battery problem, but this is the first time, EVER, that the tender has gone directly to green. I guess I'm a pessimist. In my mind, anything that happens out of the ordinary has to be a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Veteran

Chuck
If you have the adaptors, hook the tender to your auto battery and see if it stays on red for a while.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2006, 7:25 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

No adapters

Hi Bruce,

Don't have any adapters. But that's a good thought. I'm thinking I will just ignore this for a while and try again, maybe in another couple of weeks. If it still goes directly to green, I'm not going to putter with it, I'll just buy a new one. Such is life in our consumer-oriented, throw-away society, huh?

I just got a promotion, which means I have to give up my company car (it's a job-specific perk), so I'll be back to commuting by bike. So I'll have less use for a battery tender anyway.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm

My BMW batt. tender stays on green all the time... Even when not plugged into the bike... Is there a red lite someplace??.............Regards Pete
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Hi Bruce,

Don't have any adapters. But that's a good thought. I'm thinking I will just ignore this for a while and try again, maybe in another couple of weeks. If it still goes directly to green, I'm not going to putter with it, I'll just buy a new one. Such is life in our consumer-oriented, throw-away society, huh?

I just got a promotion, which means I have to give up my company car (it's a job-specific perk), so I'll be back to commuting by bike. So I'll have less use for a battery tender anyway.
Chuck:

Try this: With the Battery Tender connected to your bike (and the indicator light in green), activate the brake light. It should eventually turn the Tender green light to red (because the Tender will experience lower voltage). When you deactivate the brake light then eventually the red indicator light should turn back to green.

I have four different Tenders (Regular, Plus, Junior and the Waterproof) and they all behave pretty much the same

HTH,

Awdnut
06 K1200R
03 VRod
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 4:35 am
Addict

My battery tender has 3 leds, Green, Yellow, Red. Because it just uses zener diodes on each led to reference the battery voltage (which goes up when you switch the unit on!) The leds are highly innacurate. Mine are on all the time. I occasionally check the charge current and if I see circa 500mA I know the battery is low, if it's running about 100mA I know the battery is up and in trickle.

The best battery charge voltage indicator I have built for lead acid used an LM3914 led bargraph chip, but you won't get that in these overpriced simple tenders.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 5:42 am
Enthusiast

I have 2 battery tenders plugged in all the time. If I take a bike for a ride even all day and plug it in right when I get back the battery tenders have always gone red for a very short time and then green. All the directions that I remember reading I thought indicated that it sort of went through a series as the amperage was being picked up. I could be wrong on that but none the less mine always go red even if they have been plugged in an they are green. If I unplug even for just a moment they go red first.
Bruce
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 5:55 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
mine always go red even if they have been plugged in an they are green. If I unplug even for just a moment they go red first.
Bruce
Such is my experience also, hence my immediate attention when mine went directly to green without flashing red even once. I like the brake pedal idea. It's a simple test, so I might try that this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode