gear lever - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2016, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

gear lever

hi just picked up a 56 plate k1200gt very nice but do they all clunk when you change gear? cos this does lol

my question is can you adjust the gear lever up and down if so how do you do it

thanks in anticipation

pete c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2016, 7:55 am
Veteran

Hi Pete,

Congratulations on your new-to-you K1200GT! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Here are the answers to your questions:

* Yes, "clunky" shifting is common to BMW motorcycles, especially the KGTs like your "new" K1200GT. Some people "preload" the shifter by applying light pressure up or down on the gearshift lever before engaging the clutch. With practice, you will get better at shifting, but it will always be a bit clunky, especially when you engage first gear from neutral at a stop.

* You can easily adjust the gearshift lever position with an open end 10mm wrench. There are two 10mm nuts on either end of a short "turnbuckle" - the short rod attached to the gearshift lever. Loosen the two 10mm nuts using the open end 10mm wrench, then rotate the turnbuckle rod with your fingertips. Watch the rubber toe shift part move up and down. Tighten the 10mm nuts when you are satisfied.

Hint: I carry a small 10mm wrench in the glovebox of my K1200GT. Every once in a while on long trips, I feel a need to make a tiny adjustment so that the shifter feels "just right."

Note: You cannot adjust the brake lever position.

* Some guys found a way to make shifting smoother by inserting bearings on the inside of the shift lever. BMW added bearings to the shifter on the K1300GT models. See this thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17225

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode