Ear noise- wind - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Ear noise- wind

How do you reduce wind turbulence-ear noise? What are the best ear plugs, helmets or any other tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 5:23 am
Addict

Either soft disposable ear plugs, or custom made moulded plugs are the only way to seriously reduce wind noise.
You need to go to a safety shop and try a variety of soft hearing protection, as everyone has different needs re ear canal shape, diameter etc.
Once you get use to wearing them, it becomes second nature, and not wearing them sucks. (Reminds you how bad your BMW sounds at idle!)
Get on the web and do a Google search for custom moulded ear plugs or similar. You may find a supplier in your area.

Best wishes.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 7:47 am

Ear plugs are a must, imo. Also, some helmets are better fitting than others and reduce wind noise. I have a Scorpion that reduces the wind noise much more than my old HJC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 8:02 am

When you find the plugs you like you can buy a box of them online for somewhere around $20-$25. Enough to last you a long time. Try the super soft Howard Leight "Laser Lite" plugs - they come in corded or uncorded and I've found them to be very comfortable.

Anything sold as noise reducing stuff will also have a decibel rating indicating how much noise it will cut out. You can compare that rating with cost and comfort as you try different options, beginning with disposable plugs to in ear speakers all the way to custom molded plugs.

There is no helmet out there that i think cuts enough wind noise at speed to eliminate long term hearing loss and tinninitis. You really need to wear plugs for anything other than around town errands.

Dave.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 8:50 am

My hearing was damaged in my youth, so I'm very keen on not taking risks with what's remaining. I had earplugs fitted (made to order) and for me that is the best method of protecting my hearing. They are made of some transparent artificial material with a very small hole in the middle. There is a noise filter in it, and the opening of that filter can be changed in size. Works fine for me, I have used them on the bike, when in hospital (where I'm sleeping), and in airplanes.
IMHO worth every pennie you spend on them - it is a part of your protection (atgatt).

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:02 am

I use little, orange, disposable earplugs and they have done the job. Bought a giant box of them years ago at an industrial supply house. I never ride without them.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:05 am

Er6i noise isolating earbuds, combined with an Ipod, make for a very pleasureable ride...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenn75820
How do you reduce wind turbulence-ear noise? What are the best ear plugs, helmets or any other tricks?
I use those little foam ear plugs shaped like little rockets that are either all green or a combination fluorescent green/red in color. Those attenuate the noise the most. I also have custom fit plugs but those don't attenuate noise as much.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 2:04 pm

My vote is split between Howard Leight Laset-lite for ear plugs and Etymotic Research ER6i for ear phones.

You can get a sample pack of various plugs from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16502.html) for $10. Good place to start unless you want to go right to earphones.

-hank
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 3:30 pm
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
Either soft disposable ear plugs, or custom made moulded plugs are the only way to seriously reduce wind noise.
You need to go to a safety shop and try a variety of soft hearing protection, as everyone has different needs re ear canal shape, diameter etc.
Once you get use to wearing them, it becomes second nature, and not wearing them sucks. (Reminds you how bad your BMW sounds at idle!)
Get on the web and do a Google search for custom moulded ear plugs or similar. You may find a supplier in your area.

Best wishes.

Ken.
Ken,

You're right our '04 GTs do sound bad at idle..

Many have a clutch related glub, glub, glub noise which goes away when you pull in the clutch or raise rpm a bit. Mine has a rattle from the clutch area, it does not go away when pulling the clutch but does abate with a few hundred rpm added to the mix
DMilan
'04GT
'05GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode