suspension settings info - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

suspension settings info

I am going to do my annual service on my 2002 k1200rs and was giving some thought on the suspension settings. For my weight (165) and for more of a sporting ride as opposed to comfort, what do you think I should set everything at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberbeans1
I am going to do my annual service on my 2002 k1200rs and was giving some thought on the suspension settings. For my weight (165) and for more of a sporting ride as opposed to comfort, what do you think I should set everything at?
Not that adjustable, if you have the stock shocks. The front is fixed, the rear has preload and rebound settings. Depending on whether you have the yellow spring or the white spring will make a difference, as I believe the yellow spring is a progressive-rate spring, while the white is not.You didn't mention how many miles you have on the bike's current suspension, but if it's over 30k, the shocks are at their life's end. They are rebuildable, but for quite an expense, as they're not easily rebuildable. You are honestly better off getting new shocks, with the understanding that the more adjustable you go for, the higher the $$$.
The rear suspension should be sitting at 2" into it's full (6") travel, when you're sitting on the bike, feet on the pegs, hands on the bars. Rebound should be adjusted so that it returns quickest to it's 2" mark without pogoing (overshooting). Now, you might increase the rebound damping (slowing the return rate) to gain some amount of "comfort", but without compression adjustments, you are going to feel the initial bump just the same as you do now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 4:21 am

Talking

Bite the bullet and get the Ohlins front and rear. If you want to turn the RS into a sportsbike this is the way to go. I used to carry a pillion all the time but still wanted to have fun. After fitting the Ohlins the bike was transformed. Fully adjustable (including rear ride height) and the front end felt like it was on rails whatever the surface or lean angle. It will probably cost about £1000 to have them fitted and set up, but well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

My bike has 15000 miles on it and the rear suspension has an adjustment with a hook wrench that I assumed was for preload. Also there was two hydraulic adjustments. I have the white spring. The Ohlins shock is an attractive possibility when it is time to replace the shocks. The way that the suspension is set up now (stock) I think was for someone heavier than me. I felt that the bike was pretty sporty already!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode