Sport Touring vs cruisers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Red face Sport Touring vs cruisers

Well I'll be honest with you, I really hate the cruiser bike. I don't know why I don't like them - maybe because most of them are loud, slow & flashy. I just have zero respect for the machines & thus the riders of them ( with the exception to some vertically challenged & a couple of women I know). I know this is bad because I'm sure there are some really nice people who ride cruisers - and I'm missing out not knowing some of them. There may be some here who have both K bikes and cruisers, I just think BMW's touring machines are the best motorcycles - I like speed - I like to travel - I like comfort - Like cruise control, heated grips, heated seats & heated jackets. I like the system cases, I like the look of the sport touring bikes. I was at an all bike event over the weekend, which was mostly "Harley" there were only 6 BMWs, but I did overhear someone say "Those guys on the BMWs are the hard core riders" so I took that as a compliment. I don't know if I'm alone here or if you feel the same - no offense ment to those of you who ride cruisers - but don't mind me if I blow past you without a wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 8:49 pm
Enthusiast

I'll second that.The ones who actually ride'em ain't as bad as the posers though.The thing I like best about the cruisers,especially harleys is passin'em. I get some flack if I mention this on another form you may frequent,don't get it.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 10:10 pm
dec

Wink

Who cares what they ride ??? IT don't bother me a bit that they chose a HD or XXX bike. I chose the K12 for what I want - the total bike and I think its just that! "To each his own", the ride is the reason!

dc in KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Just the other day I rode through some buckets of rain to get to a meeting, when I arrived I was litterally dripping wet, couldn't have come out of a pool any wetter! When I got there, several people looked and a couple said, "you actually rode in this?" I responded as non-chalantly as I could, "of course, I ride any chance I get" and left it at that. Needless to say, they all had a newfound respect.

BTW they did not need to know that I did not ride in the buckets by choice, it was not questionable weather when I left.

Kyle
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Haugen
Well I'll be honest with you, I really hate the cruiser bike. I don't know why I don't like them - maybe because most of them are loud, slow & flashy. I just have zero respect for the machines & thus the riders of them ( with the exception to some vertically challenged & a couple of women I know). I know this is bad because I'm sure there are some really nice people who ride cruisers - and I'm missing out not knowing some of them. There may be some here who have both K bikes and cruisers, I just think BMW's touring machines are the best motorcycles - I like speed - I like to travel - I like comfort - Like cruise control, heated grips, heated seats & heated jackets. I like the system cases, I like the look of the sport touring bikes. I was at an all bike event over the weekend, which was mostly "Harley" there were only 6 BMWs, but I did overhear someone say "Those guys on the BMWs are the hard core riders" so I took that as a compliment. I don't know if I'm alone here or if you feel the same - no offense ment to those of you who ride cruisers - but don't mind me if I blow past you without a wave.
I don't know if I think the same way as you. I have been riding for about 39 years (since I was a kid). I like all types of motorcycles and have owned and have had all types of motorcycles. I have heard the same remarks about us BMW riders. How ugly the bikes are, how much gear we wear (can't possibly be comfortable). How dangerous we ride on the street. There is no one superior group, I am just happy that there is a larger amount of motorcyclist out there today than years past. Also you can thank Harley Davidson for such a large increase in motorcycle registrations throughout the US. You may not like cruisers but they sure have helped to bring motorcycles back. And many people who either started on HD or cruisers became interested in riding because of them are now riding our beloved Beemers.
Bruce
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Haugen
Well I'll be honest with you, I really hate the cruiser bike. I don't know why I don't like them - maybe because most of them are loud, slow & flashy.
They have their uses. I restrict the usage of the Mule to local and regional outings, the furthest being Street Vibrations. Otherwise, the Beast gets the call for the long haul journeys. And no doubt about it, the Beast is the better machine. Then again, eighteen years separates the two, so...

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 12:13 am
Telepathetic

I have never piloted a cruiser and may never get the chance. I have spent some time with the cruiser crowd and at least with the ones I hung out with, what they may lack in performance on the road is more than compensated by the performance at the bar. A better bunch to party with will be hard to find.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 4:10 am

Smile

I was once given a small cruiser as a loaner bike while mine was in for service. When I saw it, I thought "I'm not riding that!", but it was actually a lot of fun. The way the back wheel kind of chases you through the bends was fun, and useing the highway pegs in town (with all my normal gear on) got loads of laughs, from me as well as others.

I also swapped rides with a friend once who had a scooter loaded with mirrors etc. This was in the 80's (mods & rockers). He rode my Guzzi V50 in his mod parker and I rode his scooter in my greasy biker gear and motocross boots. What a laugh.

If it has two wheels, it's cool by me!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 8:11 am

I want to agree with you. I don't understand what appears to be the mass appeal based solely on the amount of chrome one can screw to a overweighted bike.

Still, I keep meeting really nice folks on all types of bikes, including cruisers. I suppose the upside of all those lawyers and dentists on HDs is that they're less likely to try to sell you meth and steal your bike for parts as they are to give you advice on your 401(k) allocations.

...Might be a regional thing. I get a lot of HD riders waving at me, despite my Ow-my-eyes yellow Stich suit and un-cruisery k12R. Maybe bad-ass bikers don't live in the rainsoaked NW.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 8:41 am

I've got an R1200C and a K1200GT. I absolutely love the GT because it does everything I want in an awesome package. The C has been somewhat neglected, but every once in a while, I clear out the moth balls and ride it for a couple hours. It is a very different riding experience - more focused on kicking back and enjoying the scenery. I think both riding experiences have their own attractions, and I can't fault anyone for wanting something different from their motorcycle riding. If the cruisers are out riding, they deserve a wave, as does any two-wheeler - except maybe some squids who are giving all of us a bad reputation.

I've ridden with Harley riders and most know their stuff. The thing that concerns me is the new Harley riders who have no experience and haven't taken the time to educate themselves on how to ride properly. Talk to some of the Harley service people (repairing brand new crashed bikes) and you will get an idea of what I'm talking about.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode