Right amount of wind on rider??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question Right amount of wind on rider???

So what is the right amount of wind to have on the rider?

Too quiet may make you feel like you're in a cage.

Too much and it causes noise and neck fatigue.

What say you???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:23 am
Noob

What bike do you have? This spoiler might be the right one for you: https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.c...ndshields.html
Wildbears likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Also see: https://madstad.com/pages/about-us

Quote:
It turns out that the solution was to separate the windshield from the bike allowing air to flow under it, thereby relieving the vacuum that is created behind it which dumps turbulence on your head. We patented an adjustable bracket system which does this and simultaneously allows you to control the angle and height of the shield so you can dial in the smoothest possible airflow. Now you can look over the shield, not through it, and keep your visor open even at highway speeds with quiet calm comfort and a great view of the road. Now THAT's what motorcycle riding is all about!

Last edited by Wildbears; Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So using one of these, how quiet do you want your ride?

One consideration is that as wind noise decreases, engine noise increases.

However, the absence of any buffeting with some wind noise and the right amount of engine roar might do the trick.

So how much of each, if any, do riders need to be comfortable yet still feel like they are riding?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Rookie

I added this for $20 and very happy with it. I am 6-1" with the 20" windshield already fully extended, this mini extender give me a little more as needed. Also, I can change the angle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...72.m2749.l2649

Bike is a K1200GT 2003.
Wildbears likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
I added this for $20 and very happy with it.
So do you need ear plugs with the addition on and properly adjusted?

And is wind noise and buffeting reduced enough to prevent fatigue for a series of 8 hour days?

On my K12RS with a customized, high windscreen, I don't need ear plugs up to 40 mph. At 40 mph and below you can ride all day, no problem.

Above 40 mph, engine noise comes up and is reflected off the back of the shield such that it is too loud for riding more than 30 minutes at speed without earplugs.

Also, would you use a screen that totally eliminated wind and noise???
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 1:01 pm
Veteran

Alright, I'll bite.

I grew up riding bikes with no windscreen at all, and I like it like that. I live in Southern California where you can do that all year round. The K1200GT is my first bike with a windscreen.

In the summer, I use the stock BMW windscreen, most often in its lowest position. I have a spare new one still in the box, and think about cutting my old one short, like a "sport windscreen."

In the winter and for long trips in unpredictable weather, I have a tall Aeroflow AeroScreen windscreen. I also have their side wings, called AeroGards. Highly recommended!

AeroFlow Corp K1300GT & K1200GT '06-on Products
Wildbears likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
The K12RS without any windscreen is pretty quiet.

Just looks odd.

And you get a lot of air on you at speed.

My current screen is higher than the BMW comfort screen and I can look over it.

With my helmet shield partially lowered, I get plenty of ventilation but no gnats crawling around my ears.

And no bees or stones in the face.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
In the winter and for long trips in unpredictable weather, I have a tall Aeroflow AeroScreen windscreen. I also have their side wings, called AeroGards. Highly recommended!

AeroFlow Corp K1300GT & K1200GT '06-on Products
Image @: http://aeroflowscreens.com/photogallery/photo00001694/'07K12GT%20019.jpg

Also a double windscreen like Madstad. The leading shield is open at the bottom allowing air to come up above the shorter trailing shield and prevent the development of negative air pressure behind the trailing shield and resultant buffeting.

Some OEM bikes are using the same principle with the instrument cluster cowling acting as the trailing/shorter shield.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbears View Post
So what is the right amount of wind to have on the rider?

Too quiet may make you feel like you're in a cage.

Too much and it causes noise and neck fatigue.

What say you???
Well, it depends on all kinds of factors, such as size of rider, size of windshield, seating position, height, handlebar position, custom seat, tail or head wind speed, etc.

MY experience has been on a couple of unfaired bikes, then a Kawasaki 900 with Windjammer fairing, then an R90s, then two R100RS's, then two K100RS's, and now a K1300s.

What I've found is in each case except the Windjammer, there is a certain wind speed that balances the rider's lean forward such that there is a minimum blast of air against the rider, but most/all of the weight on the hands is eliminated. Faster and you're hanging on against the wind, or hunkering down a bit to raise the 'balance speed'.

On an unfaired bike, that seems to be around 65mph. On my R90s, with minimal fairing, it was about the same -65-70mph was the most comfortable.

On the RS models, all of them (and the K1300s) have wind hitting me just around the armpit level so my shoulders and head are in the wind. I like a windflow that puts the turbulence below my helmet, so it is getting smooth air hitting it. I've got a fairly long torso at 6'2" (only 33" inseam), so if I have good posture, my head is in the smoother, quieter air. With the lean angle of the R100RS, the balance speed was up around 75mph, and there was a nice smooth engine RPM in that range as well.

With the K100RS, the balance speed was about around 75-80. With the K1300s and it's smaller windscreen, the most comfortable speed is definitely 85mph with no wind.

What really kills me in the K1300s is riding at 45mph in traffic. Especially ater a few hundred miles have turned my wrists into sore points.

phxazcraig
Wildbears likes this.

Tags
buffetting, comfort, helmets, wind screens, wind shields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode