High mileage K1300 vs low mileage K1200 - which one is a better buy? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

High mileage K1300 vs low mileage K1200 - which one is a better buy?

Hi,
I'm having a tough time to decide between these two:
2009 K1300S, with 80000 miles - full BMW service history up until 60000 miles, completely no info for the last 20k - the current owner doesn't know and hasn't done any service himself.
https://www.olx.pl/oferta/bmw-k1300s...tml#666ef3e570
I checked it out, and while it rides great, it looks pretty battered (rusted bolts, paint chips, worn switchgear), and I'm worried about any major failure / expensive service at this mileage. Also, steering lock has seized and been taken out.

VS

2007 K1200R Sport with 38000 miles
https://www.otomoto.pl/oferta/bmw-k-...tml#2a377f984a
A bit more expensive, but with panniers, and the bike looks to be in better shape.
Full service history up until now as well. I'm only worried about typical K1200 flaws here, like gearbox and clutch.

Which one would you choose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalf6 View Post
Hi,
I'm having a tough time to decide between these two:
2009 K1300S, with 80000 miles - full BMW service history up until 60000 miles, completely no info for the last 20k - the current owner doesn't know and hasn't done any service himself.
https://www.olx.pl/oferta/bmw-k1300s...tml#666ef3e570
I checked it out, and while it rides great, it looks pretty battered (rusted bolts, paint chips, worn switchgear), and I'm worried about any major failure / expensive service at this mileage. Also, steering lock has seized and been taken out.

VS

2007 K1200R Sport with 38000 miles
https://www.otomoto.pl/oferta/bmw-k-...tml#2a377f984a
A bit more expensive, but with panniers, and the bike looks to be in better shape.
Full service history up until now as well. I'm only worried about typical K1200 flaws here, like gearbox and clutch.

Which one would you choose?
Just my opinion, but I would choose NEITHER of these 2 - let me explain:

I have wrenched on my own motorcycles for 40 years, and I am aware of most problems related to the "slant-4cylinders" K1200 series... SO I would NOT touch any of these K1200S, K1200R or K1200GT with a 10 feet pole. Of course, I am not including the earlier "brick-engine" K1200GT in this list to avoid.

In the next generation "Slant-4cylinders" (K1300S, K1300GT , K1300R) the factory made major internal engine changes , so most of these early problems have been eliminated or reduced.

No service history, in particular with more than 1 previous owners, I AM NOT A BUYER - period. So, in your shoes, I would wait for a good deal on a later used K1300R or K1300S with service history - the later series appear to be better sorted (2010 or later).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Jun 24th, 2019 at 5:50 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:07 am
Noob

I am an ex-bmw mechanic myself. I own a 2006 K1200 with 26k on it now. I bought it in 2007 with 4k on it. I did all the recalls which is important, nothing too tough to do. I have ridden this bike for many miles without doing any required service other than oil/tire changes. This bike has been bulletproof! Utterly reliable! I would also pass on both bikes though! Too many miles unless this is all you can afford, wait to find a lower meage bike! One thing about motorcycles, there will always be very low mileage ones to be found with some patience. Especially during off-season, not just before summer! These bikes can do the high miles, no problem but why should you get stuck with one! I have owned 20 or more beemers starting with my first, a 62 R69S to my latest K12. Find one with 10k or less is my advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 4:56 am
Noob

Like the two above suggested, wait for one with low Km/milage BETTER..

Well, unless you live in small "3rd world" country BikeWise like I am (Middle-east Hollyland..) - K12's (R,S & rarely GT's) there are abit more than few sold (the dealer then was pricing the bikes with multy-premium high-as-hell price tags..), and with the gear issues the model got notorious with very bad taste plus high expences on service.. The K13 that came after it sufferd from the previous model BAD reputation, so even less bikes sold from '09 to '15 when the factory stopped its prod.
I guess that you can count the K13's TOTAL (S, R & GT's) less than a dozen on the roads today here.. So, when you can find one that is for sale, especially the K13S or R (the GT is less desired) you should grab it, ever if it has nore than few ten thousands KMs. Here many bikes are everyday commuters, so most of them have pretty decent milage on them, or if they use as a weekends tuorers they are in use most of the year, because the weather is mostly nice with few rain days a year.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 6:22 am
Noob

I agree with Sailor. I was a 2007 k1200gt owner for 10 years and I had a lot of trouble related to poor design(Engineering ) I would stay away from both . Good luck Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 9:21 am
Enthusiast

There are two on the BMW MOA site:

2009 K 1300S

2011 BMW K1300S - Super clean, low mileage, garaged

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classi...ing-16673.aspx

Okay, just checked the site you referenced. Seems you're not local.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:42 pm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the responses guys,
I looked around and found a better example I think - 2008 K1200s with 30k miles, good condition, power commander, only fuel strip failed, but it's not a big issue for me.
https://www.olx.pl/oferta/bmw-k-1200...tml#0b83e7bd31

Price is pretty good (approx. $4k), so if one of the typical K-bike issues comes up, I'll be able to handle it. It's a 2008 though, so with updated clutch & ABS hopefully it won't be too catastrophic.

I'll check it out tomorrow, and if all looks OK, I'll buy myself one hell of a birthday present
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 7:41 pm
Addict-oholic

Ok, I had a 2006 GT for 3 years. loved it ,but it needed some improvements. the day the 1300Gt arrived, I test drove and was sold. I have had it almost 10 years and still love it. It did have some hot starting issues, but with high test fuel and fuel cleaner, it hardly ever happens. just an occasional stall while downshifting. I bought a set of highway aftermarket pegs, so i can relax on longer journeys. These engines last forever, so I would rather buy a high mileage 1300 than a low mileage 1200. Besides, the eregonomics and seating stance are so much better on the 1300 with less weight and better low speed steering.
just my opinion!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 12:28 am
Addict

There were over a hundred changes from the K12 to the K13. There were serious problem with the transmission, bearing and more but I had no issues with
my 2005 K1200s. The K13 and some switch gear problem that were fixed and some stalling problems related to how the throttle bodies were stored. it was great in the idle circuit, these issues are all resolved.

I getting ready to sell my K1300s, it has 9K miles on have been able to ride for three year because of a multiple back surgeries. My bike has a Power Commander and a Auto tune, a Full Akrapovic race exhaust system, Sargent seat, Forged Gale Speed wheels, a very nice after market wind shield.
There are a few other items too. But after four back surgeries I have decided to stop riding. I have all the stock parts.

The bike is in great condition.

James
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:13 am
Noob

I have been quietly reading this thread and can honestly say that with the exception of the transmission clunk into first gear, I haven't experienced any of these problems. I have an '07 K1200R Sport and it has been pretty much spot on. It runs well, shifts fine, and has plenty of power and great handling. It feels more stable to me than other sport bikes that I have ridden. I purchased mine with 37,000 miles on the clock. It now has about 42K. It is not my only bike. I have had it for a little over a year. But, I am happy with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode