Harleys on the centerline???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrmull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Question Harleys on the centerline????

Over the years it has become evident that when Harleys ride is a group (anything more than one bike), the lead bike rides on the centerline or double yellow. The rider's left hand even protrudes into opposing traffic.

What's up with that???

I thinking that it either territorial or more likely due to the smoother pavement near the center of the road.

Anyone have the inside scoop???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 10:23 pm
Rookie

Not an historian expert but Motorcycle clubs have a habit of expanding the width of the front riders to indicate stopping. Front rider pull in tight center of their lane to indicate moving out fast. There is a whole set of hand signals, I haven't absorbed yet.

Other reasons for hanging on the center lane is to attract attention of oncoming cars/trucks. Indicates, give me space especially if two lane road and the rider is briefly moving there and back to the tire lane. I use this technique on Chicago country roads.
Wildbears likes this.

Last edited by jrmull; Jul 1st, 2019 at 10:33 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 9:39 pm
Noob

The majority of motorcycle vs other vehicle collisions occur within 45 degrees of head-on to the motorcycle. How do you know if on coming traffic sees you, to avoid turning left in front of you or crossing into your lane? When you ride close to the center line, if on-coming traffic sees you, they will usually move right to increase the the distance between you and them. If they move right, you know that they see you. That is the only way you know.This does not work, if the driver thinks you are challenging them, or they are a wide load. Try it, and you will see how many times it works. I am 75 years old, with a million miles, most on BMW's and have never had a head-on near miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Question

Another possible explanation is better/less used pavement along the centerline.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Question

And maybe to prevent "squeak-by passing cages" that don't fully move into a separate lane to pass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode