My first K bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Honolulu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

My first K bike

Just bought an85 K100 from a friend. 65k miles. Has the fuel pump issue and the gas cap is stuck shut. He also gave me two big boxes of parts that have been sealed since 1987 when he moved here from Spain. The biggest box was the complete new takeoff fairing. (Pichler went on before he ever rode it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3365E279-E1F3-4D38-B053-C10A7AC9C431_1567296129534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	25211   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C8AF370-7A84-42FD-883C-7497DA5241C3_1567296154573.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	25213   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FCCBF38-C6C7-4B4D-9FF4-1C37CB0F47D5_1567296206564.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	25217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Got the fuel cap figured out. Read up on the forum and was ready to drill the hole 23mm from keyhole. Then realized my cap was different. It's one of the (early?) ones one has to push down on the center square after turning the key. ID10T error. That revealed 3 gallons of varnish and a nearly-completely dissolved fuel pump dampener. Filter cup was ripped and chunks of rubber sludge were inside of it.

Gonna order the kit and get to it over winter. Until then I'm going to sift through the piles of parts that came with it. (And ride my other bike)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 12:17 am

Most excellent acquisition. I had two '85s with VIN numbers only 79 units apart, imagine the chances of that, halfway around the world and decades later.

Rode the first one for 12 years. The second one, acquired late, had been sitting a long time. I cleaned it up and went for a ride with the wife. It caught fire because of a rust-out on the left side tank low point. I dumped the bike in the middle of the intersection and beat it out with my gloves. As it happens, dumping the bike with the leak side up was the best possible thing that could have been done, because after that the leak did not further contribute to the conflagration. A few new parts from ebay and it was a runner again, but I sold both bikes after I got a 2010 K1300GT. The K100RS was nice and took me many places but the K13 is as an ICBM compared to a horse and buggy.

THEREFORE make sure your tank does not leak at that point!
sealover likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode