Painting BMW System Case Lids?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Smile Painting BMW System Case Lids??

Has anyone painted the black plastic "stock" BMW system case lids?

It seems it would work ... with some filler/putty/whateva material on the outer shell before painting. A pro paint/body shop should have no problem!

I wonder, tho, would the "flex" in the lids cause any problem? Do the factory painted lids have more "structure" to them?

What do you know!?

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Enthusiast

Use paint specifically for use on plastic.

This is what I've been told by a local expert when I inquired about a custom paint job for my GT. The material has to be sanded smooth first. This is the most important step or the paint job will look like crap. Primer and paint specifically made for plastic will flex enough and adhere to the plastic without cracking or peeling off. If you plan to have someone do the paint for you make sure to see an example of their work.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 4:11 pm
Veteran

I've had bag lids painted several times. It's really very easy..find a BMW shop that has done them for a lot of their customers.. write the check and voila! painted lids. But seriously the K1200GT's has painted lids that was one of the GT upgrades.. So do the new RRT, and even the new GT.. Doing the black ones is a matter of the correct prep work for paint, just get someone who's done it before.. most BMW shops that have been around awhile will have a shop that does it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

I wonder. Is it worth just ordering painted GT bags from BMW? I wouldn't get the "custom" look, but I know the "factory" makes Orient Blue painted bags for the GT that would match the blue on my blue/white zebra RS.

Anyone know the cost of GT painted side cases? I've never had custom painting done so I have no idea what this costs.

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:40 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee
I wonder. Is it worth just ordering painted GT bags from BMW? I wouldn't get the "custom" look, but I know the "factory" makes Orient Blue painted bags for the GT that would match the blue on my blue/white zebra RS.

Anyone know the cost of GT painted side cases? I've never had custom painting done so I have no idea what this costs.

I was quoted $335 per lid by my shop here in Matthews, NC. So, you're looking at almost $700 just for the lids. I'm not sure what it would cost to get someone to paint them, but I've got to believe it's less that that.

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Addict

Say if you buy new lids mail me the old black ones.

I need a set cause, they always are banging them when the hotel valet service takes them to my room.

Thanks so much.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:55 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
Say if you buy new lids mail me the old black ones.

I need a set cause, they always are banging them when the hotel valet service takes them to my room.

Thanks so much.
Slip 'em a ten in advance next time. No more banged lids on the door jamb to the room.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:57 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee

With the zebra, you might consider (if you're thinking custom) a couple of designs that match the zebra theme. I can't think of any, but I'm sure there's a few folks out there that do that in their sleep.

Someone with a taxi repeated the checkerboard theme on the side cases, for example. Looked good.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Addict

Painted Lids

One painter told me if I had ever put Armorall (sp) on my lids, forget painting them. I hadn't but chose not to paint them. I don't run my cases unless I am on a trip anyhow.

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:09 am

Forget ordering GT bags from...

...your BMW dealer for your Zebra. I tried and it came out to around $1200. I thought that was ridiculous...just to get the blue paint on the lids. I ended up finding a guy selling his from his Orient Blue GT. I think I paid around $600. They look GREAT on the Zebra though...and makes the bike a bit special. If you can't find GT bags...I'd probably call Holt BMW in Cinti, OH...they are famous for painting BMWs and can probably do a fine job for you.

Chuck V. ('03 K1200RS, White & Blue, the FAST color)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode