Closet K bike envy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Closet K bike envy

Guess I have to post to keep the Admin Deities happy (Hi Razel)

During this year's 49er rally in Auburn, my Ducati Multistrada decided to give up the ghost. Trailered home with all the symptoms of a blown motor. It's under warranty, but you can guess how much $h!t I'v cought from my bimmer riding "friends". :p

Like a frustrated, ignored house wife....I decided to cheat. A&S made it just a LITTLE too easy to score a test ride on the K1200R. I wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't expecting to join a Kbike forum.

The K1200R from a frustrated Ducatisti:

This bike is the polar opposite of the Multistrada.

The brakes: I'm used to funny sounds when I pull in the clutch, the bimmer made funny sounds when I squeezed the brake. Servo assisted brakes? Not so sure I like that, just one more thing to break. But they seem to work, hauling the bike down from 140 indicated w/ no trouble.

About that 140 indicated....not entirely sure what gear I was in, but the bike was still pulling like a freight train. The MTS tops out about 130. Hmmm...THAT part I do like.

The motor. Couldn't be more different. The MTS is raw, a little harsh, very visceral. The k bike was absolutely silk smooth. In fact, at cruising speed, the fact that I was moving forward was the only indication the bike was even running. Call that a wash...while the smoothness is nice....I do love the "canon fire" of my Remus equiped 1000cc V twin. Power delivery was completely opposite as well. In the first two gears, I have to be smooth and deliberate with the MTS throttle or I'll find my front tire right about head level immediately. The KR almost seemed hesitant getting on the throttle. I would whack it open, the computer would translate it to German, send it to headquarters, recieve the go-ahead, then translate that to acceleration (albeit, lots of it).

Wind protection: Something odd happened here. I had forgotten my earplugs during this test ride. The air the KR puts on you is so smooth that even at 140 w/out earplugs, it was quieter in my helmet than the MTS at 80mph. (wind noise alone, not talking about motor noise now). I never really realized how much buffeting I get from the MTS windscreen until I felt the smooth air coming over the KR. WHen I get the MTS back from Munroe Motors, I'm pulling the windscreen off. I can remember riding my DR650 (no windprotection) and having sore biceps and abs after a couple hours, which is why I thought I wanted wind protection. The KR sits you just perfectly in that wind that it's no work at all. Very impressed.

Suspension: I was impressed....and I wasn't. ESA was set to sport, and the bike turned in and tracked FAR better than I expected a machine that heavy (relatively) and long to do. But in this dept. I have to give the nod to my MTS. Slightly more suspension travel, excellent feedback and good stable manners let me enjoy turn 9 at Buttonwillow as much as chopped up one lane "goat trail" roads.

Ergos: Hands down to the KR. Maybe I'm a sport biker at heart afterall. The MTS sits you almost literally like an enduro. I had played with the idea of rearsets and clip ons. I wouldn't change a thing on the KR. Maybe a slightly lower seat (I'm 5'8"), but even that wouldn't be necessary. Well, maybe I'd change the turnsignal switches...

The Verdict: It's up to Ducati on this one. If the motor is warranteed with no trouble, the KR's price tag will keep me off the K bike for the time being (I got the MTS with luggage and few other extras for $13K OTD) and I'll keep riding my shiny ugly bike. If not....I may have to mortgage the condo again and brush up on my German. But I won't forget the ride (that MOTOR!) and I'll popping my head in here from time to time regardless.

Cheers

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:55 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Brian,

Glad you've taken a walk on the "refined" side

I love Ducatis and have nothing negative to say about them, except they tend to be small (I'm 6'4" and 260# and absolutely lust after the Monster).

I have seen a K1200R with 2,000 miles w/o ABS for $12K, or a bit less.

The servo assist breaks are very effective, especially when you've been riding all day and your hands are a bit cold and, or, fatigued.

I've got a Remus on mine because I wanted a bit more "rumble" our to the tail pipe. For me it's purrrrfect, but there is nothing...NOTHING like the sound a Duc with a nice pipe. That big twin makes a gorgeous sound that no 4 can get anywhere near.

You didn't mention: The Duolever front is extremely different from, well, any other bike out there, including most other BMW's. A little less "feedback", but the separation of suspension from steering make a huge difference in braking response. You can start breaking firmly in a corner, for whatever reason, and steering will remain neutral. Incredible when an obstacle appears in the middle of the road on a blind corner.

The turn signals....eh..... you'll get used to them and then wonder what the fuss was all about.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 6:47 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidvicious

During this year's 49er rally in Auburn, my Ducati Multistrada decided to give up the ghost. Trailered home with all the symptoms of a blown motor. It's under warranty, but you can guess how much $h!t I'v cought from my bimmer riding "friends". :p

Brian
Welcome aboard.

A little training and we'll have you right up to speed.

That's beemer, not bimmer.

A bimmer is the four wheeled Bavarian thing.

A beemer? That's the real thing.

That's all, as you was.

Oh yeah, twins are for girls.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
Welcome aboard.

Oh yeah, twins are for girls.
Poor GS riders
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 8:09 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Poor GS riders
Well yeah, but...

nobody really has the heart to tell the poor bastiges.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2006, 1:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Good boy...
Quote:
Beemer. Two wheels.
Bimmer. Four wheels.
Beamer. Euro-talk for video projector.

Please use caution in the future. you can guess how much $h!t I'v cought from my fellow admins and moderators
As for your beemer-riding friends, pah! They're riding twins...
Quote:
The Verdict: It's up to Ducati on this one. If the motor is warranteed with no trouble, the KR's price tag will keep me off the K bike for the time being (I got the MTS with luggage and few other extras for $13K OTD) and I'll keep riding my shiny ugly bike. If not....I may have to mortgage the condo again and brush up on my German. But I won't forget the ride (that MOTOR!) and I'll popping my head in here from time to time regardless.
Keep in mind, too, it's unlikely that that GS will be constantly burning an image in your mirrors anymore.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 6:28 am

Red face

Quote:

Cheers

Brian
Unfortunately............If you own a Ducati, as I do, you need to own another bike also. Relying on just the Duc would be a mistake IMO.

Last year, when I was looking at buying a used sport touring bike, I took a look at the Ducati ST4 along with the KRS and what swayed me towards the K Bike was the mental picture that I always got in my head of breaking down in the middle of nowhere with the Duc without a dealer for hundreds of miles away. Granted, that same thing could happen to me on a K bike but if it did I know that I could it through it with help a lot easier.

The Ducati's are great fun to ride but taking one on long road trips is something that I'd shy away from. That's why I own a KRS and a 996, they're so far apart from each other and the 996 does things that the K bike will never be able to do as easily. I've really enjoyed having the BMW but the Duc is a whole lot more fun but I'd would never expect to get 200,000 miles out of it like the Beemer.

Low mileage Beemers are pretty reasonable. I got my KRS w/ 16,000 miles and a full Ohlins set up for less than eight grand. I've got three grand so far in a 996 motor rebuild that I put 40,000 miles on. Right now, I'm waiting to get four new exhaust valves from Italy for eighty bucks each to complete it.

Good luck with getting your Duc out of the shop, free of charge before the end of the summer.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250

Last edited by BMWorDuc; Jun 11th, 2006 at 6:48 am.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:22 pm

When I decide I needed a new bike, the KR got the nod and my GS was traded in. About this time I decide that despite it's wonderful sound, my ST4s was now redundant and should be sold. Off tot he dealer for consignment it went and on to a happy new owner, leaving me with more cash to sink into the R.

As much as I enjoy the sound and personality of a Duc, the K-R is all I need at the moment.

06 K1200 R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode