Motorcyclist Alps Challenge Tour - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Cool Motorcyclist Alps Challenge Tour

Has anybody done this tour being organized by "Motorcyclist Magazine" thru Edelweiss Tour? It is a 7 day,1200 mile trip on September 8-17 from Munich to the Austrian ski country, then south to Italy's Dolomite region, a short stop in Slovenia, then back to Austria's Grossglockner pass before heading back to Munich.

BMW R and K bikes, except the GT are available., I am considering the R1200 GS or R1200 ST since I already own and ride both the K1200S and the K1200 GT. This will give me chance to sample one of these highly rated R bikes. or should I stick to the K bikes since I am familiar with those.

Any input will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:26 pm
Addict-oholic

I did that exact tour 14 years ago with Edelweiss on a K75.. It was fabulous. A nimble bike is very important on the twisties and sharp corners. Your choice on the bikes...
I just looked at my certificate of completion of their Alps Riding School and it was dated 1992. Maybe I am ready to do it all over again as I consider that trip one of the highlights of my lifetime travels!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:58 pm
Rookie

I did a very similar tour last summer thru AdMo tours. 5 days (Munich, Salzburg, Cortina, Innsbruck/Seefeld, Munich) We rented a 2003 R1150rt. The RT was great in those curvy Alpine roads. Absolutely no regrets on the RT. We're headed back this summer (on our own) for 14 days. Am renting an RT again. It's is a very different ride, but very appropriate for the Alps.

hope that helps
russell

fyi: I am K rider at heart. My current 04K1200gt is my third K bike in row.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 3:46 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Rick, I don't do organised tours (advantage of living on this side of the puddle), but I have done the route and roads you mention on several occassions - great fun and great roads. I hope to be heading back that way in a few weeks (clients permitting).

I would recommend you try it on the R1200GS. Some of the roads you are going to ride are less than perfect (as concerns asfalt) and the GS will be much more fun on those.

Also, the bikes that smoke just about anyone else on those roads are always GS's, some of those hairpins are just easier and quicker on that kind of a bike.

The pictures below should give you an idea of what to look forward to - plenty of curves and plenty of scenery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Austrian Pass.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	972.5 KB
ID:	2731   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaslteClouds.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	809.4 KB
ID:	2732   Click image for larger version

Name:	legs.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	2733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furkapass_CH800x600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	2734   Click image for larger version

Name:	a rainbow for the flowers_800x600.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	2735  

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the input everyone, I have decided to join the tour and visit the alps on a 1200 GS.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 8:10 pm

I have done 15 days through Germany/Switzerland/Italy with a friend two summers ago on a rented RT!

I purchased John Herman's book called the "Alps" and ran the ride based on his advise. I'm not one for an organized tours either. It was a fabulous time and the weather was picture perfect! Doing it yourself saves big bucks, almost as much as you would have spent on the tour alone.

Either way...it's a must do ride! Enjoy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:45 pm
Enthusiast

Organized Tours

Allebas, Don't let'em rag you too hard about going with an organized tour. I rode with Edelweiss last Fall in the Dolomites and found them to provide an excellent value for the money. They're a first-class outfit in my personal opinion. If you're over there all the time you might venture off on such a trip by yourself and enjoy the scenery, but the logistics of organizing a multiple country trip, meals, hotels, etc. are considerable, and you would be lucky to have any time left to ride.

It doesn't happen often they claim, but we had a guy in our group of eight crash hard and suffer severe injuries late afternoon of our first day in the Dolomites. A long downhill sweeper diving into an Alpine forest and he and his brand-new GS suddenly went into the guardrail. Our all-knowing guide Thomas had an ambulance on site within 12 minutes, it carried him to an evacuation helicopter waiting at a clearing a short distance away. Thomas reviewed our remaining day's route with us, then raced to the hospital to check on him and square things away. Think about what it might have been like if he had been alone.

I sure envy you the trip. I have my patch from the Grossglockner in Austria and wouldn't take any amount for it. As you can see from the photo, even an ordinary gas stop becomes a memorable experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swiss Gas Stop.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2755  

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:00 pm.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Alps tour

If I may ask what is a tour going for these days. I was to take one last year and was unable to go. Still having regrets, been to europe a few times but not on a bke. The one last yr was in Slovania, by a tour agent call Slovanian Motor Cycle tours. Seemed like a great guy who I was emailing. Matte I think his name was. Any way, what is a 7 day tour going for?

Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Bill,

I did that tour as well, and second your advice.

Thomas was one of their better guides, in my opinion, and that Dolomite tour is one of the more technically challenging of all the EdelweissTours. Highly recommend it.

Don
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2006, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Magellan, the cost is between $3200 to $4900 depending on accommodations and bike type.
I suggest you check their website at edelweiss.com
BTW I opted out of the R1200GS because they dont offer it with low seat and went with R1200ST instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode