Statmaster

Be careful on the Dragon

Operation "Slow Down"
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...EWS01/60617030

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 7:43 am

Thanks for the post. I'll be riding the Dragon next month, although it will be on a rented Harley. We'll be in Tennessee for the annual national rally of our RVing group, and since I don't have a toyhauler, I have no way to take the K12GT. That's OK, I guess, since some of the other bikes on our ride include a Gold Wing and a Chevy-powered trike!

Rusty
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 5:42 pm
JMc

Will be there next Monday...will post a report.

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:04 am

Snippets from article

Brown said the two groups of people most likely to die in a motorcycle accident are teenage to mid-20-year-old men and men in their early and mid-40s.

He said the older riders have a false sense of security and experience, possibly because they are just getting back into riding after taking a decadeslong break from the dirt bikes they rode as kids.

Chung Nguyen, 19, of Asheville was left paralyzed after crashing his 2006 high-performance Yamaha on a curve in Candler on June 2. He lay in the woods near his bike for four days before friends found him. He had purchased the bike a month before the accident.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:39 am

Stay safe out there

Thanks for posting the article. I was detoured around one crash that was mentioned in the article just after riding the dragon. Very ugly with the truck hanging over the bridge. I'm surprised one of the motorcyclists survived.

Kevin Austin Crigger, 39, of Dinwiddie, Va., died May 27 when he lost control of his Harley-Davidson at a curve on Ted Jordan Bridge on U.S. 129.

He crossed into oncoming traffic and hit the side of a truck. The impact pushed the bike back into the eastbound lane, where another motorcyclist hit it. That rider, 41 years old, survived but was taken to the hospital in Bryson City.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:30 am
Addict

The Dragon

I don't even go there any more because of the popularity as of recent. My first time was four years ago, followed by the next year. My buddy and I have recently gone to check it out and we lost interest since it became so popular. It's too dangerous with all the inexperienced Hayden want-to-be's overshooting turns, crossing into oncoming lanes of bike and cars. My fellow employee was laid up for 3 month's with a hole in his leg because another bike straight-lined a turn and broad-sided him. I feel if you want to pretend to be Matt Mladin, go to a track day where everyone is riding the same direction. In my opinion, the young inexperienced "Crockets" (crotch-rockets) riders are ruining alot of good roads. Once they get wind of a good road, they amass their "Riding-Club" of many riders to decend on the road and run the hell out of it until no one is safe to ride it and the law shows up. Oh well, guess I'm just getting responsible.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:18 pm
Addict

We were there last Thursday - they didn't need any cops to slow things down, there were a few new riders on their Hondas with happy plates (paper license plates) backing up traffic to keep things plenty safe! Putt, putt, putt....

So, how do you get the job of riding a beemer up and down the Dragon all day every day?

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:48 pm
Enthusiast

You sell BMW parts like Pirate and go when ever you please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode