Help, wife worried about solo cross-country trip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Help, wife worried about solo cross-country trip

Well, you may have read through my other posts about my upcoming San Jose, CA to NJ trip. My wife is now having second thoughts because she believe that such a solo ride is dangerous (even though almost every stop along the way is at a friend's house).

What does everyone here think, am I crazy for wanting to do this alone and should I wait for the opportunity to do it with someone else, or am I just doing what has been done by so many other riders so many times in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 1:29 pm
Enthusiast

That's a delicate situation.

I haven't done a cross-country ride before, but when I take trips on the bike my wife worries, but doesn't try to stop me. It helps that she likes to ride. It would certainly be more fun with someone else along but that may not be possible. Your best bet is to set some parameters with her and stick to them. Such as detailing your route, calling each night or day with where you are and where you will be going next, etc. That seems like common courtesy to me and may help ease her mind. You may put out feelers on this board and get some riding buddies for certain legs of your trip. Good luck and ride safe.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Statmaster

You might want to show her the route. Explain how long it takes for each leg, and how many miles you are riding each day. As long as you aren't overdoing it, she will probably start to understand. Make sure you come up with a schedule for phone calls. I try to call when I stop for lunch, but that can backfire. You could be in the middle of nowhere at noon and she starts to worry.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 5:46 pm
Addict

lol

Sounds to me like you're under-insured. Ever since I got the new insurance policy, wifey has been encouraging me to ride faster. Something about insurance makes them hold you a bit looser. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm travelling from New Orleans to Las Vegas solo in October. Not as far as your ride but 1700 miles or so. Wife hasn't blinked.

Cheers,

Gravity
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 5:58 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
Sounds to me like you're under-insured. Ever since I got the new insurance policy, wifey has been encouraging me to ride faster.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:13 pm
Enthusiast

H'mmmm. At this point in time you have 12 responses on another forum compared to only 4 here.

Kind of puts your exhaustive scientific research on forum responses and opinions about them at question, doesn't it? :wtf

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Just HOW concerned is she? I got some concern before heading out on multiple coast-to-coast kinds of rides, so I offered to buy a Star-Traxx so she could track my every move on the trip. Once she saw the price tag ... problem cured, and I didn't have to buy it.

But seriously, I do try to text message or call when I can, so she knows I'm still moving. On endurance rides or rallies, it can be difficult to call or txt at every stop, and I've had to wing myself off txt msging while the bike is moving, but I do try to msg every couple of stops at least. I've done enough trips by now that she knows I'll stop when I've hit my limit, and she usually (rallies excluded) knows my route and planned stops before I leave, so I *could* be found if I went unreported for a long period of time.

Of course, I'm also over-insured as mentioned above.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:09 pm

I understand your wife being concerned. My wife LOVES to go out on the mighty K and is broken hearted if I ride it without her. But that is OK, she let me get a "solo" bike, a Suz DL650. Some days when she is working and I am not she will encourage me to go out for a ride by myself. But, should that ride turn into a solo trip of any distance the rules suddenly change.

She worries greatly about me if I go too far. I think she would die from a nervous breakdown if I did a long solo trip like this one being discussed. She would think of hundreds of ways I could be killed or injured. I could be drug behind a semi truck or run over by a train or robbed by Mexican Bandits, whatever. She would not be able to sleep nights.

How to deal with it? That's the tough call. Lots of cell phone calls and/or text messages while on the road I guess. Reassure her, be understanding of her concerns, etc. She cares about you and would just be devastated if anything happened to you and she wasn't there. Work with her to overcome her fears.

But make the trip, it sounds like a great ride!
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:10 pm
Enthusiast

22 posts to 6!

Looks like time for fresh batteries in the old scientific calculator.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
22 posts to 6!

Looks like time for fresh batteries in the old scientific calculator.

Cruiz, you're trying to stir up shit. By the way...how 'bout those Cubs (NOT).
But the White Sox on the other hand....

Jeff
K12RS Taxi
K1
R1150GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode