CHP Crashes on the "Crest" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 5:47 am Thread Starter

CHP Crashes on the "Crest"

CHP Officer Curtis Stout crashed his BMW RTP into a Jeep last Sunday while chasing down a sportbiker up in the local Mt's above Los Angeles and going wide into a turn faster than he should. He was airlifted down the hill to a hospital with a broken leg & a bad case of road rash.

Way don't these guys wear proper gear when they're doing this type of thing? Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time until this was going to happen to him.

I hope he's OK and heals quickly.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 7:35 am
Veteran

Unfortunately it is people like me (a CA. taxpayer) that have to foot the bill when these guys do something VERY stupid.

Didn't anyone at the Academy tell them that there's nothing faster than a radio?

The ONLY place for motor police is traffic CONTROL, not high speed pursuit.

Don't get me started on their short sleeved shirts and open faced helmets.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:04 am

Why do you say "Happen to him"? Does this officer have a reputation?
You can be that there is going to be a big CHP enforcement zone imposed on that area now. It may be official, or it may not, but I bet it will not be a good place to speed for the rest of the summer.
And, I second whole heartedly that he heals quickly, and is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc
CHP Officer Curtis Stout crashed his BMW RTP into a Jeep last Sunday while chasing down a sportbiker up in the local Mt's above Los Angeles and going wide into a turn faster than he should. He was airlifted down the hill to a hospital with a broken leg & a bad case of road rash.

Way don't these guys wear proper gear when they're doing this type of thing? Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time until this was going to happen to him.

I hope he's OK and heals quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 3:34 pm
Addict

i never understood the rationale behind high persuit chases for nothing more than speeding. all to often a high speed chase results in someone getting killed and it's not worth it in my opinion just to hand someone a ticket. if someone was just murdered, a bank robbed, a woman raped or a kid abducted then high speed chases are justified. other than that get on the radio and get other cops involved, get a license plate number and go to the dumbass's house and arrest him when he gets home. seems like the cop will be OK and that's a good thing.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp9
Why do you say "Happen to him"? Does this officer have a reputation?.
Officer Stout has been on a mission for the last 18 months to clean up the Mt above Los Angeles. This is one of better places to ride in the area and in the past during the summer a squid goes off it most every weekend. Sometimes he doesn't make it home at all.
So the officer has been chasing down various speeders for awhile now. Most of the time they get away because theyre talented riders on 100 plus HP motorcycles and know the 100 plus miles of Mt roads as well as he does. He's been out matched by guys in full leathers while he's in his short sleeve shirt on an RTP solo most of the time.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:51 am

Glad to here the officer is OK. BUT if they (the police) are really going to do this type of high speed stuff, at least get the guy a set of full leathers and a k1200s or something. It is just plain stupid to ride fast in a short sleeve shirt/little helmet... Someone should tell this guy about a radio.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 6:33 pm
Enthusiast

If you have had enough encounters with these gentlemen (read Gestapo) you will realize you can't tell them anything. I know they have seen a lot, and may have specialized training, but to do the task that they are trying to write you up for does not make things any safer. Especially with no or limited gear or in some cases a SUV.

We (New York) now has a law on the books that if one of these morons can't figure out his radio and makes a conscious decision to chase you above his capabilities and dies doing it you will be charged with his death. The only person I find responsible for this is the person doing the chasing. By their own admission they are chasing you because you are performing a reckless and dangerous act. Now they are going to do that very act to stop you.

This should not be viewed as a slant on all officers. Some just let the power go to their head and they have to prove to you they are in charge, even if it kills them.

I have had a few great encounters. They check out the bike, gear, and papers and if everything is ok (and I wasn't a danger to anyone else) they write up a non-moving or warning. I've even had one officer point out some deer crossings and road construction areas to be careful of. I wish they were all were being trained to really be concerned with safety and not with trying to project their authority.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 9:27 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
If you have had enough encounters with these gentlemen (read Gestapo) you will realize you can't tell them anything. I know they have seen a lot, and may have specialized training, but to do the task that they are trying to write you up for does not make things any safer. Especially with no or limited gear or in some cases a SUV.

We (New York) now has a law on the books that if one of these morons can't figure out his radio...
I知 a LEO, so I guess I知 a little biased. But I知 getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons because we don't do things to specifications as set forth by someone else. You have a right to your own opinion of me of course, but you know, I have my own opinion of you too.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I知 a LEO, so I guess I知 a little biased. But I知 getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons because we don't do things to specifications as set forth by someone else. You have a right to your own opinion of me of course, but you know, I have my own opinion of you too.
I have to say that this thread smacks of "bikes should be left alone" similar to "skateboarding is not a crime!". While the officer may have been too overzealous, it does not make the action he is trying to stop any less wrong. By many of your posts, I wonder if you would feel better with a policy I would support.... Run from the police and suffer the spike strips! What the hell, why should a bike be treated differently than a car? To ask the question about chases for nothing more than speeding, you ignore the fact that the cop knows the reason for initiating a pursuit is speeding, the reason for escalating a pursuit is due to the additional crime of evading (or resisting arrest), the officer at this point does not know why a person is running, just that the other is not heeding the officer's legally defined notice to pull over. Seems to me that regardless of the officer's motive, the bikes reaction is what escalated it. If I am riding and see a cop behind me, I have two choices, 1. pull over and accept that I took a chance and lost this time or 2. run and assume that he is going to do whatever is needed to catch me, if after running for a bit, I stop/crash/pull over, I can EXPECT to be thrown to the ground and treated like the criminal I am!

I am not saying that the officer did not have a part in his predicament, but laws are written for everyone's safety and when we violate them we must accept when we get caught, when we don't we have crossed the line from violators to criminals.

Do I speed, Yes... nearly all the time, and I DO expect to get caught sometime, when I do I will accept it and take the legally mandated punishment. I will not refer to the cop that stops me as a member of the "gestapo", rather another man doing his job as I do mine... as such he will be met and treated with respect.

Go ahead, call me an A$$hole, but I have no problem with people running from the police having spike strips used... don't care if they are in a car, cycle, or bicycle. I mention the strips only to say that I am very consistant... once you run, you have to reap what you sow.

For all of you LEO's out there pounding the beat... Thanks!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 9:42 am
Enthusiast

Chuck,

"I知 getting a little tired of my profession being referred to as the Gestapo and the officers as morons"

I tried to be clear that it is not all officers. I am sorry if my writings were viewed as flamming all of the trade. I have a few friends that are state and local police. I love to hear their impressions of some of their counterparts. Some of the stories are hilarious, and I am sure I would not be able to handle these cases as correctlly as they have.

I have also heard some horror stories. I am sure you know, the ones that never make the paper (brutality, accidental discharge of weapons, handling of DWI politicians). Most officers with a little time learn to know who is who. The problem is that the weak are typically not seperated from the heard and when we get pulled over the officer we remember is the bad time we had with officer numbnuts.

The good part is when the local cops heads get a little to big for their hats the state boys step in. If the corruptions continues the FBI come in. It is interesting to see the local papers slant on this. Like the FBI is going to help the local officers. What they do is recalibrate or lock them up.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode