Good roads in Florida? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Good roads in Florida?

Hey all, just got an '04 K12 GT, and am loving it.
Sadly however, around where I live, the roads all turn at 90 degree angles.

I took a trip to Southern Cali, and I drove Mulholland, and sunset, and I realized how much I need to find some curvy roads in FL. ( that or move to the mountains ).

Any suggestions? I don't have the experience to tackle the "Tail of the Dragon", nor do I want to scare myself too badly ( I respect the ground too much for that)

Thanks alot, and to whomever provides this site, thanks for the awesome reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:02 pm

What part of Florida? (pretty big state!)

There aren't many roads with elevation changes in Florida, but there are quite a few with curves. Give me an Idea where you're riding from, and about how far you like to ride, and I'll try to share some that I've found.

Even at our best though, our roads don't compare to mountain area roads for motorcycle riding pleasure. Still, we take what we can get.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Well, I'm down in Miami, but am planning a rode trip probably up to the Daytona area ( I have a buddy that I can stay with up there. ( I fear waking up to the sound of scraping plastics)

If it's someplace thats within a 2hr ride, that'd be best cause then I don't even need a hotel room. Just a good restaurant.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 6:00 am
Veteran

Mount Dora area.

02 K12RS (Molested)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 1:22 pm
Ivy

561 south of Mt Dora and around Sugarloaf Mtn. 435 from 46 to W. Kelly Road. Going North on 19 take 450 west to intercept 42 going east all the way to 44. Stay off 40 and I-95 as much as you can. Other good roads are 494 South of Crystal River to Ozello. 13 up the east side of St Johns river. Remember you have to drive many miles to get a couple of good turns, Florida = 11 turns in 314 miles....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy
561 south of Mt Dora and around Sugarloaf Mtn. 435 from 46 to W. Kelly Road. Going North on 19 take 450 west to intercept 42 going east all the way to 44. Stay off 40 and I-95 as much as you can. Other good roads are 494 South of Crystal River to Ozello. 13 up the east side of St Johns river. Remember you have to drive many miles to get a couple of good turns, Florida = 11 turns in 314 miles....

lol, i'll try to keep that in mind...

Found a decent site for this stuff last night also:

http://www.sportbikeroads.com

Thanks a lot, and it looks like I'll have to make a full weekend of this too .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Addict

roads

there is great riding in all the interior of florida, no good riding on the coasts. just too much traffic. head west from miami over to us 27, go north. great rides thru big sugar, big cattle, big orange country. go on up to bell glade and take 78 around lake ocheechobee. some of those county roads up there are the best. go back down 29 all the way to everglades city then back across 41 to miami. remember, florida is all about the interior. getting a basic history book about the state will help enrich your ride. for instance, when u get to lake ocheechobee, u will see a very high berm around the lake. in fact, most places u cant even see the lake. a hurricane in 1928 wiped the area out killing thousands. locals worked for over two decades building berm around lake for future hurricanes. much history, if u look. same with glades. all kinds of current politics in that area. good riding...............
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoodude
I don't have the experience to tackle the "Tail of the Dragon", nor do I want to scare myself too badly ( I respect the ground too much for that)
Regardless of experience level, I see no need to fear the "Tail of the Dragon" or any public road for that matter. I'm speaking about the road itself of course without regard to the usual stuff to be concerned with on any public road, i.e. deer, squids, motorhomes, traffic, bigfoot, hela-monsters, etc...

The road itself (no matter how many bends are in it) won't crash you. The key is to ride at your own skill level and respect your limits. With that in mind, a nation of great roads await you.

As far as Florida is concerned, I've been all over that state and although I enjoy the time I spend down there, I'm always glad I don't have to live there from a motorcycle sport-touring/riding stand point. I've yet to find a single road that I would consider "fun" on a K-bike. There are nice, scenic rides to be had but nothing worth hanging your knee out for. At least in my experience.

All just my humble opinion of course
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Some easy day trip suggestions, from Miami:

Head to Homestead, then enter Everglades National Park. Head for Flamingo for lunch. Low speed limits, but very light traffic at the right time of the year. I like mid November, whether is cooler, snowbirds haven't gotten here yet, and almost no mosquitoes. The roads in the park are nicely paved, with 45 MPH speed limit. Mostly, there's enough to see that I don't feel the need to go much faster anyway.

Get on I-75 Westbound (Alligator Alley) until mile marker 49 (Indian reservation). Head north on government road (CR-833 or BIA-1281), through the Indian reservation. Go North for about 25 Miles, to the junction of CR-833 & CR-846 Decide:
1. Take CR-846 to the East. Road is rough in spots, but has a few curves, follow the road until junction of CR-846 & US-27, just to the East of Clewiston. Take whatever road back to Miami suits you, mostly boring, but quick from here.
2. Take CR-833 on North, follow the road until it junctions with SR-80, then head East which will put you on US-27 to Clewiston.
3. Take CR-833 North, follow the road until a very odd junction that will take you South on CR-846 heading to Immokalee. Watch for a road junction heading South to the Hendry county jail (CR-840). It dead ends jail junction, bear right on CR-858. Just before this road junctions with SR-29, there's a filling station out in the middle of nowhere that is often used by motorcyclist for a break area. From here take SR-29 South. Join I-75 for a quick trip back towards Miami, continue on South to US-41 towards Miami, or head on down to Everglades City or Chokoloskee.

US-98 & SR-78 around Lake Okeechobee can be interesting, if traffic isn't too heavy. Several decent roads North and West of the lake.

That's a start, anyway. I find lots of neat and out of the way places in Central Florida. One way is to go somewhere into the interior, the more remote the better, and then pick a major city on a tell the GPS navigator to route you there, using the SHORTEST route. I've found roads that way that included wooden bridges and roads so narrow that it's like they were "designed" for motorcycles, and one way at that!

Good luck, and have fun.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:59 am

We are fortunate enough in No. Fla./S. Ga. to at least have decent curves with some elevation change. Nothing extremely tight or technical mind you, mostly nice fast sweepers on lightly traveled rural roads. And at least the good stuff is only 6 hrs. away. I am very familiar with the roads of Central/S. Florida having grown up down there, so I feel your pain.

Jerry

'06 K12S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode