K1200LT corner handling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2006, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT corner handling

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced an issue I have with my bike, Or may know what may be causing it.

This weekend I was coming back to Seattle from Montana. I was on I 90 and had the cruise set at 90. I noticed that when I'm in a right hand corner my bike starts to wobble. Picture yourself leaned way over in a corner and what it would feel like if you started adding and subtracting pressure into the handle bars.

at first I was wondering if it was me doing it. but a few more corners one handed and with a light touch into the steering controls I still feel it.

I just had the front forks re done a few months ago, I don't have any seepage. My bike has 36K miles on it and the shocks are original. I'm leaning towards the shocks.

I was also wondering if it could have been the road surface, such as rut from 18 wheelers.

Could I have been in a set of ruts and feeling the front end trying to clime out of the rut
and osculate up and down the rut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 2:43 am

My bike is in the shop at the moment, and the dealer has lent me an R1100S to play with. This bike does exactly the same thing. The strange thing is it is only on right hand bends. I was thinking either suspension or maybe a strange wear pattern on the tyres? If it's the suspension, why doesn't it happen on lefthanders? I dont know. How are your tyres? I've never had this before. I'll be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Brian
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 9:46 am

Talking

My LT does it, but not my BoxerCup. The light truck does it at a ton both sides. It needs new shocks and a steering damper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Hmm, I know my tires are great, Pretty much brand new. Well it is comforting to see that I'm not the only one that notices this.

I'd really like to get it on a track where I can test it at some more extreme speeds and angles and see what I can find.

I wonder if the 05 and 06s have the same issue. I have a 2000 and BMW changed the front geometry in I think 05 to get rid of the low speed handling extreme.
I wonder if the lean angle is extreme the steering input at high speeds.

or to put it another way, Low speed 3-5 mph at an upright position is squirrely
a 40 degree lean angle at 90 mph is the same.

Kinda wonder if it steering would get worse at a more extreme lean angle.... Hmmmm, I don't know if I want to test that theory!

Hmmmm, but one assume you would have that same wobble in left sweeping turns also.
Almost makes me think it's a fork.....Hmmmm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:54 am

I have a friend with an 04 LT. At certain highway speeds he could not release his hands from the handgrips without a severe wobble - dangerous. The local BMW dealer was diagnosing it and trying to resolve the issue, but BMW rejected the warranty claim stating the bikes were not designed to used without both hands on the grips.
The dealer did cover repairs under warranty. It took a couple of attempts. But, I believe he ended up with a new front wheel the first time - a later a new from tire as well.
I hope this helps.
David

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:11 am

How many miles are on the bike? Could be that you need to dial in the rear spring preload. Could be that suspension is fading....heavy bike+heavy rider+ luggage+high speeds =overtaxing of stock suspension.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:15 am
Looking for better limits...

That'd be a good place to start. Add some preload to the rear shock, as it made all the difference on a K75RT I had. Felt like the bike had a hinge in the middle of turns.

Felt a little on the GT on a right-hand overpass I take to work. Even though the height was set correctly, adding a couple of turns and it's nice and steady now.

...as a start, anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic
How many miles are on the bike? Could be that you need to dial in the rear spring preload. Could be that suspension is fading....heavy bike+heavy rider+ luggage+high speeds =overtaxing of stock suspension.
... AAaack... Now I'm fat? Heavy sigh.... whimper whine! I think it's probably the pre load and the shocks., I have 40K on the bike and still the ssame shocks. I did mention new shocks for the bike to the "Minister O Finance" (Wife)... she just gave me THE Look when I mentioned around $1100.00 twasn't pretty!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:29 am
Statmaster

I was at ToTR when this was posted and missed it.

If it's more like a "wallow" rather than a "wobble", it's probably the shocks. My original LT shocks were shot at about 20000 miles. Since the LT stock shocks are no rebuildable and are so damn expensive to replace, I chose to go with Ohlins from www.onlineparts.com (make sure you call Andy and order from him, because he'll do his best to fit you to your weight and riding style).

You can also go with the Wilbers shocks. They've been given reviews that make them as good, if not better, than the Ohlins. And you have the ability to customize your options a little more with Wilbers.

Both the Ohlins and Wilbers are rebuildable.

Make sure you check in with the gurus at www.bmwlt.com for more specific LT information. There's a lot of more technical LT information over there as well.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:02 am
Rookie

Doug

How fast were you going? I can get this, and I have good Wilbers, when well leant over and going pretty fast....otherwise, my 2000LT has handled very reliably for nearly 100k miles now.

See a similar thread on the LT site:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11305

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode