SECA/MOTOGP Trip! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:56 pm Thread Starter

SECA/MOTOGP Trip!

Too jazzed to work, myself and 6 buddies leaving on Saturday am from San Diego to go to Seca for the MotoGP, the looooooooooooong way. We are going to hit Idyllwild, Angeles Crest, Kings Canyon National Park, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Lassen National Park, Lake Shasta, eventually hit the coast around Eureka, then down the 1 to Monterey for the races and general mayhem. All twisty (well, as many as possible anyway) roads, all the time. Any "must sees" or road, restaurant, etc tips much appreciated. Friends all on R1s, 1000RRs etc, couple of them will blow by me, half wont, and I guarantee I will be more comfortable than any of them! Come on Nicky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:15 pm
Addict

Talking

On your east to west leg from Lassen, be sure to take Hwy 36. It is one of the very best roads in California. I am doing a similar ride, however I am starting on Thursday, 7/20, and ride Hwy 1 to Monterey first. After the race weekend, I'll be taking a similar route to yours, but in the opposite direction. I plan to zig-zig across most of the Sierra passes on the way home. Have fun!!

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Addict

Sounds like a good adventure in store. Safe riding, and watch the daytime temperatures in the CA interior - hot, hot and HOT.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 2:54 pm
Enthusiast

I hate you.

Okay, I guess hate is the wrong word.

I envy you.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I'll be there, too- although too far to ride in the amount of time I can get away from the office- Flying out on Friday, back Monday am from southern Arizona.

Ride safe!

Go Nicky!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Rider
I hate you.

Okay, I guess hate is the wrong word.

I envy you.
lol...not too late, call in sick for a while, come down the coast, its not far from oregon!
watch for the speed traps in your state though....they are serious about their 55 as i recall...thank you bend, oregon, f you very much...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
On your east to west leg from Lassen, be sure to take Hwy 36. It is one of the very best roads in California. I am doing a similar ride, however I am starting on Thursday, 7/20, and ride Hwy 1 to Monterey first. After the race weekend, I'll be taking a similar route to yours, but in the opposite direction. I plan to zig-zig across most of the Sierra passes on the way home. Have fun!!

Thanks a bunch for the tip, I dont that area well at all!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:28 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Thanks a bunch for the tip, I dont that area well at all!!
Check out this link: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm
If you're not familiar with this website, check it out... it's an incredible resource.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Too jazzed to work, myself and 6 buddies leaving on Saturday am from San Diego to go to Seca for the MotoGP, the looooooooooooong way. We are going to hit Idyllwild, Angeles Crest, Kings Canyon National Park, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Lassen National Park, Lake Shasta, eventually hit the coast around Eureka, then down the 1 to Monterey for the races and general mayhem. All twisty (well, as many as possible anyway) roads, all the time. Any "must sees" or road, restaurant, etc tips much appreciated. Friends all on R1s, 1000RRs etc, couple of them will blow by me, half wont, and I guarantee I will be more comfortable than any of them! Come on Nicky!
When your on the "Crest", Hwy 2 stop by Newcombs Ranch Cafe and say Hi. The Awahanee(sp) Hotel is a must in the Yosemite valley floor. Very cool patio bar with a million $ view.

There's also a great place for some food and drink called "Rosie's" in Tahoe City, on north part of the lake.

When you get to Eureka, go south a few miles and turn off at Ferndale. Grab a bite to eat and take the Lost Coast road to the beach and out the Redwood forest. It's made for sportbikes and you'll have the whole road to yourselves all day long.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250

Last edited by BMWorDuc; Jul 12th, 2006 at 8:48 pm.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc
There's no way that you can do all this and still be at the races on Sunday afternoon. Why would you anyway, when the party in Monterey starts on Friday!
Just go to Monterey first and do the rest of the trip on the way home, when you guys leave the track.
Trust me, you don't want to miss Cannery Row on Saturday night.
Umm... I think he's talking about starting on Saturday, 7/15...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode