Buell or ducati or k1200s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Buell or ducati or k1200s

after a year of physical therapy, I can ride again! (ice climbing accident) I need something to replace the k1200rs I sold when I thought I would never ride again. The k1200rs was a wonderful bike but I want something a little more peppy and easier to toss around. I dont plan to go on 6 hour rides anymore and I dont need to haul the tents and gear.

The ducati monster is a good looking bike but I get mixed reviews on its reliability or more correctly, they need a tune up after every ride. The buell firebolt seems to be very similar to the monster for less cash. Buell is a snazzy harley so once again I question reliability. I have never ridden a v-twin bike but I have been to plenty of buell rallies and I see how fun the low end torque is. I have also seen parts fall off of brand new buells on a regular basis.

Then there is the k1200s. Much more expensive but Im guessing the power band and ride will be similar to the k1200rs only more nimble and more power. Its more expensive and the reviews I read on this site suggest that it is not as rock solid as my k1200rs was.

SO.......... opinions on these three bikes? Pros and cons? reliable not reliable. I would probably buy a 2 year old bike with low miles and shoot for the 1000+-cc mark not the 600's.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Have ridden a buddy's Buell and I have to say it's a little weird. It's kind of hard to explain but it feels like your riding on the front of the bike, sort of like there's nothing in front of you. Like I said, it's kind of hard to explain. Buddy love's it and he has had zero problems.

The monster I've heard is a little bit of a maintains queen but an overall good bike. I have personally not ridden one so I can't tell you how it feels.

As for the KS, if your not looking to ride for hours on end, I'd say go for the KR (little prejudice) because it is an absolute blast. Mine has had a few issues with the recalls and programming but I love my bike. Have ridden a KS and it is nice, just lean a little to far forward for my tastes.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

hey super thanks! That is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. I actually thought the buell riding position was a bit odd when I sat on one.

Heh, one would think the R would be in that mix over the KS but Im a bigger fan of the ks in the BMW line up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Have you riden a KR? I personally like the 'naked' look as well as the riding position. Give it a try if you get a chance, you never know, it might change your mind.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:53 pm

i've ridden all three type and have to say I like the the K1200S & R much better. Buell is fun, but if you check their forums, you'll see that their quality control is horrendous. I wouldnt put down any money on one. The Monster is fun and rides well but is less refined than the K1200. Take the complaints on the K1200 with a grain of salt. For every rider complaining on this site, there are probably 20 riders that have no complaints. BMW guys love to bitch about this or that (engine mapping s/w has been the main complaint by far) but few actually trade in for competing brands and wind up riding countless thousands of miles without major breakdowns. My guess is that a 1 year old K1200 can be bought for a little more than what you'd pay for a new Buell or Duc. Welcome back!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 8:24 am

Pound for pound..Ducati is way more expensive than a BMW. Also...the valves on a Ducati are made from spaghetti and need constant adjustment....overpriced italian trash if you ask me(and no one ever does). If you want a new bike...sport touring...I would honestly look at a Honda Interceptor. Save the money and spend it on your girl.

Last edited by TheMechanic; Jul 20th, 2006 at 9:07 am.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 8:45 am

I owned a Duc (94 model) and loved that motor. I'm starting to believe that the people who bitch about valve adjustments on ducs have never owned one. Don't let the valve adjustment complaints on a Duc keep you from considering one.

Having said that, I love my KR and I love my Vstrom. Two decidedly different bikes for different types of riding. IMHO a rider needs more than 1 bike, 2 is a minimum.

Wish I hadn't sold my Duc, that was a sweet machine. Good luck on deciding on the perfect bike for yourself. That's half the fun!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:38 am

How about an Aprilia Mille? Italian styling, rock solid bike that rips!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:52 am

Yea, an Aprillia will send you into bankruptcy faster than a Ducati will. Aprillia is a failed company. Who wants a bike that is part eggplant anyway.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:24 am

Ok Ok

This is supposed to give the guy some good insights and not trash bikes. Althought TheMechanic is DEAD ON on Aprilias and Duc LOL!!!!.

Ok so a bit less trashy advice. I am an LT rider, I also used to have an RS (03 18K miles) when the RS was sold the I wanted something powerfull, less complicated than the old K motor, lighter and more nimble I started looking around, here are the bikes I considered and tested.

Buell XV12S (The strangest riding position I have ever been on, noisy, clanky, everything was clanky).

Duc Monster (Great Bike, lots of grunt, Ducs are like old 2 cycle Yamahas they require CONSTANT messing with, I don't think their valves are made out of spagetthi, I think they are made out of RICE PAPER... LOL) I HATE chain maintenance

K1200R (Loved the bike, the looks, the power, the nice BMW confort touches that we BMW owners are use to. Miss the cruise Control, got spoiled by my LT and RS). Unfortunately while test riding the R I caught a downpour and my legs and shoes were soaked in 10 seconds, before my chest and back. So the lack of a fairing kind of turned me off, oh yeah the SO did not care for all the "exposed mechanics" as she called.

Triumph Speed Triple (Nice Bike I cannot get used to those double headlights the Hinkley boys like to use, it is very UGLY. I HATE chain maintenance

Triumph Sprint ST. (Super Nice bike, was actually second place on my list, saddle bags and Top Trunk were going to come in free with the price of the bike, some special Triumph was or still is running. I did not like the heat that it comes from the bike in stop light around your legs, by the time I returned from my test drive the "omelet was ready" LOL. I HATE chain maintenance

Busa. Unconfortable, terrible fit and finish, ugly colors this year, what happen with the nice blue and white or black and red?. Did I mentioned before I HATE chain maintenance.

Finally the bike I bought the K1200S. Granite Gray, BMW Sport Saddle Bags. ESA, Trip Computer, I absolutely love this bike, the riding position is a bit more sporty than the RS was BUT, here is the BUT, the RS had a long reach for the bars making it hard to straighten your back, the S allows you to ride like a crotch rocket and or straight your back and get lots of the weight off your writst. I LOVE IT. The seat is very good, I am considering a touring windscreen since I am 6.1 I am getting BUGs BLAST on my helmet. The power is plain and simple STUPID FAST.

Gripes: Yeah I have two:

Bike HATES to be in bumper to bumper traffic and slow moving lines bike likes to be rev hard.

Clunkiness when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I have been told it will get better, with 1500 miles on mine it has NOT, and its plain and simple embarrasing sometimes all the noise it makes when shift.

My 5 cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode