Tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

Cool Tires

I know that this subject has to have been beaten to death, but as I'm new to this forum I'd like to still ask what tires would be best for my k12rs. It's a 2003 and I ride it hard and fast.
It came with Battleaxes and after 4,000 miles their cupping baddly.
I preffer Metzlers as I've had good experiences with them.
What about the M3 which is new or the M1. The say there for sport riding, as I tend to do.
Most of what I see is talk of the z6.

Any speed deamons with some thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Here is the worst answer you read will on this with all the purists here. I mix my tires and have done so for years. The complaining will follow. I use a Metz Sportec up front and a Bridgestone BT-020 rear. I ride 90% of the tread off lane splitting while commuting. The heat in So Cal is brutal on soft tires when you are slabbing it. I still wear the middle of the rear tire out first, but at a slower rate. I have no problems with this set up on my KRS. Many have a problem with mixing tires and the stories show that. It's a matter of what works for you and where you ride. Most radial tires today have their pros and cons. There is no perfect tire set up for everyone on a bike that is 100 pounds overweight.

Last edited by Blkvelvt; Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:07 pm.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Enthusiast

I was riding the BT020R and currently have teh M3 on my bike. M3 stick good but I think mileage nowhere near the Battleaxe, though I have over 4K on M3 and still look OK. Check the tire survey results for group consensus. As Blkvelvt stated varies due to factors of roads and riding style.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:52 am

The M3 replaces the M1, and IMO is a much better tire. Metzeler claims it lasts quite a bit longer, too. I just put a set on my R1100S, and so far I think they're the best tires I've ever had. I think they feel a little better than Pilot Powers and Dunlop Qualifiers. For me, the Powers lasted about 30% longer than other sticky tires, but from what I've seen others say, I'm hoping for the same with the M3s.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:54 am

Avon st 45 & st 46 ...has been good to me and my friends
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:04 am
Addict

if its not a Metz or an Avon I dont run it. I know others are good too, maybe better, I just know these brands and have had good luck with them.Hate to be stuck with another brand I didnt like for 5,000 miles, I'm too cheap to change tires till they are shot.I tried a Metz rear and an Avon front once, not good, even scared my passenger, only time I have replaced a tire early, it had maybe 500 miles on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
Avon st 45 & st 46 ...has been good to me and my friends
I agree. The Avons offer both performance and mileage. All of my RS / GT riding buddies in Texas have gone to them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:46 pm

I differ from the previous posts. I love my Michelin's. I have pilot roads on now, love them, even in the twisties. I am getting superb wear on them as well. I used to have pilot power front with road back, did not have a problem with that either. My buddy had Metz's and did not like the front, it was always "searching" for a good line and never felt stable to him, he replaced with Pilot roads and the feeling went away. Many talk about the powers being a bit stickier, but remember, our bike is double the weight of a "crotch rocket" and therefore should not need as much stick. I have never felt it giving way or anything even in the worst of twisties. Can not say enough positive about the wear, ride, feel, or price of Michelin's!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

Pirelli Diablo Strada. Made on the same line as the Metzeler Z6, but good for an additional 2k miles (the way I ride). Z6 were good for 10k, the Strada 12k.

Having said that, I'm not a canyon dancer by any stretch of the imagination...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:27 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
I differ from the previous posts. I love my Michelin's. I have pilot roads on now, love them, even in the twisties. I am getting superb wear on them as well. I used to have pilot power front with road back, did not have a problem with that either. My buddy had Metz's and did not like the front, it was always "searching" for a good line and never felt stable to him, he replaced with Pilot roads and the feeling went away. Many talk about the powers being a bit stickier, but remember, our bike is double the weight of a "crotch rocket" and therefore should not need as much stick. I have never felt it giving way or anything even in the worst of twisties. Can not say enough positive about the wear, ride, feel, or price of Michelin's!
Ditto, also pilots feel the best in the wet (for me at least). Z6's are also good in the dry, but not as good as the pilots in the wet.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode