Squids and Natural Selection - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Squids and Natural Selection

Too many times the same scene plays out. I live in Southern California and ride 70% of the time to about 30% as a cager. Today I was caging it in the South Bay with the kids in the car. As I got onto the freeway, a Yamaha R6 passed me on the right on the onramp and started the "Squid" moves most cagers hate about us riders. He then zigged and zagged through all four lanes of traffic thinking he was a "Real" road rider. I just got into the carpool lane and forgot about him. Miles later, "Squidboy" is now behind me in the carpool lane still picking what he thinks are the best lines. As the carpool lane ends and merges to the left, he passes me halfway and almost gets pinched between two cars merging. Being a rider and aware of him behind me, I still had a problem keeping an eye on where he was going. He was all over the place just looking for open holes where a bike would fit. Why do these idiots even ride. I wouldn't wish harm on any rider, but I feel safe this bonehead will be a statistic before me. I feel for the cagers sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic
It sounds to me like He just needs more practice. You cant fault a fellow rider for wanting to play in traffic.....hopefully He learned something that day. As to why you call him a squid....it sounds super condensending to me and Your statement of not wishing harm on any rider sounds like a bullshit lie to me. Squid implies fricken gettin run over and squished! Please keep those thoughts to your self and if you do decide to share them...tell us how you really feel. I mean....we know you want him run over before you get run over as per your statistic statement.......you fricken lawyer!
You sound like you are off your meds!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Maybe you have a different idea what a "Squid" is. My version comes from motocross in the 1970's. Back then "Squids" or "Pit Squids" where riders who did not obey rules of the race track or pits. They were often stopped and sometimes thrown out for blatent disregard of rules and safety of others. Wheeling through the pits and showing off and quite often causing an accident. Most racers would think to themselves or out loud "What a Squid". Maybe you can explain your version of a squid after you take your sedatives. I personally do not feel all cagers are after me. I ride as though all cagers do not see me for safety reasons but to think they are after me is paranoid. Like I said before and again. I do feel for some cagers and what they have to deal with. There are a lot of "Squid" riders on bikes. Data will confirm that.

Look at this article and the definitions on the right in the tan box.....

http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/nytimes.html

Last edited by Blkvelvt; Jul 28th, 2006 at 7:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:48 am

I think Blkvelvt was describing a squid that fits my definition as well. That rider was unsafe and will hurt himself and somebody soon. Just My .02 $.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Dont call me paranoid......the data might also show two less kids growing up to be lawyers.
You're over the line. See a doctor
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 2:20 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
You're over the line. See a doctor
amen!

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 2:49 pm

It's not only driving cages where I notice this too. Thursday I was riding to work as usual - the last part of my commute shares an access road with Camp Pendelton so there are plenty of young Marines riding to work on their new sportbikes at that time too. I had just finished rounding a gentle left hand turn and was preapring to change lanes to the right. Did all the usual motions - checked my right mirror, hit the right signal looked over my right shoulder and started to move right. Just as I was crossing the white line, a squid came flying out of nowhere - must have been doing at least 120 - and passed me to the right in the remaining part of the right lane. I guessed his speed based on my speed and that he would have to have still been around the previous turn at the time I initiated the lane change for me not to have seen him. There was plenty of traffic ahead as well and he made several close splits to continue on his course and speed. Not only did it scare the crap out of me and my other coworkers as well, but it makes me look bad too - I'm sure everyone at work that day was looking at all us riders as lunatics.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Quote:
....I've had way too many cagers try and run me down for the fun of it...
I've never noticed this problem before. Judging from his many other posts, I figure they probably have their reasons.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:34 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanuska
I've never noticed this problem before. Judging from his many other posts, I figure they probably have their reasons.

Some folks create their own 'dragons', don't they?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:38 am
Looking for better limits...

What can I say?

:troll

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode