helmet pressure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

helmet pressure

Currently I have 3 helmets, a Davida Lunar (size XL), a Scorpion (size XL), and a HJC (size L). The first two- after riding about an hour- start to press on the center of my forehead right under my hairline, and that's irritating enough. But after 2 hours, I want to rip the helmet off and toss it. And I hate to revert to the $75 HJC and leave two expensive helmets on the shelf.

Okay, so maybe I have a big melon. And there is no way that test-riding any helmet is going to tell me if the same thing will happen with any other helmet- it was months before the Lunar started bothering me.

I quit the Scorpion because it has a seam that runs vertically in the front center, which I thought was the culprit. Tried a bit of padding, but short of gluing it in, that wont stay in place and is just annoying.

Anyone else solved this problem? I'd like to find small gel inserts to place above my eyes, to alleviate this pressure. But I am open to some suggestions before I give up helmets altogether and just wear a baseball cap backwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 6:09 pm
Veteran

I'd suggest that you try on some different brand helmets. It sounds to me that you have a long oval shaped head in that cause an Arai Profile should fit well. Arai is the only manufacturer that makes three different shaped helmets to fit different shaped heads. Read about it at http://www.araiamericas.com/Sizing.html#
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Enthusiast

I agree with ERIK. I have an oval shape head and the Scorpion is a pain in my forehead. I currently wear an Arai Signet GTR which does well. The Profile is the model replacement for the Signet in Arai's line. I also find the Shoei X-11 to be a good fit. Just this past week I was in a local shop and found a Shark RSI and RSX helmet in stock. THE RSI did a good job of fitting my oval head, but the RSX was not as good. The point is, you've probably got the wrong shaped helmet for your head.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Another egghead here - try an Arai. I had a lot of uncomfortable helmets over the years with the same problem as you are having. I'd buy an XL and have it wobble on my head to try to relieve the pressure. The Long Oval Profile is the best helmet I have ever owned. I sometimes forget to take it off

06 K1200 R
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:11 pm
Addict

Shoei also works well for oval heads like us - rounder-shaped helmets are just a pain.

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

thanks guys- anyone wanna good deal on a slightly used pair of bashcaps?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:37 pm
Enthusiast

Take all the liners out and see how it fits your head with out padding. It may only take scraping a little of the foam, less than a 1/4" to make it comfy.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:30 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

helmet adjustment

actually I use a spoon and mash some of the front styrofoam down a little to adjust the fit, you can work the spoon with your thumb and gain a little at a time untill its comfortable. Works for me.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostewart
Currently I have 3 helmets, a Davida Lunar (size XL), a Scorpion (size XL), and a HJC (size L). The first two- after riding about an hour- start to press on the center of my forehead right under my hairline, and that's irritating enough. But after 2 hours, I want to rip the helmet off and toss it. And I hate to revert to the $75 HJC and leave two expensive helmets on the shelf.

Okay, so maybe I have a big melon. And there is no way that test-riding any helmet is going to tell me if the same thing will happen with any other helmet- it was months before the Lunar started bothering me.

I quit the Scorpion because it has a seam that runs vertically in the front center, which I thought was the culprit. Tried a bit of padding, but short of gluing it in, that wont stay in place and is just annoying.

Anyone else solved this problem? I'd like to find small gel inserts to place above my eyes, to alleviate this pressure. But I am open to some suggestions before I giveour hel up helmets altogether and just wear a baseball cap backwards.
Mayby your helmets are too big ? - I had the same problem with a shark helmet and went down a size. This moved/spreaded the pressure and it felt like a completely other helmet.

/Michael
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:57 pm

So the amount you pay for the helmet is more important than how it fits huh??? :wtf

One of the best helmets tested is the 3/4 helmet from Pep Boys,,,$79.00 I think and top rated..... The HJC is a fine helmet with a good reputation...Wear the one that fits best, it only has to save you in one accident and you will have to buy a new one anyway ..........Regards Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode