California riders beware... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

California riders beware...

My brother and I got stopped today by a Los Angeles County Sherriff. My brother's FZ1 has blinking LED running lights that go solid when you hit the brakes. This was the initial reason for the stop. He has a bobbed rear fender and the license plate up against the tail light like most guys are doing. The deputy said that they have been instructed to start enforcing lighting and reflector mods to motorcycles. Here is the bad part. It is no longer a simple fix-it ticket. It now carries a fine and return to stock ticket. He stated a burned out light is a fix-it ticket. A modification is deliberately changing a DOT approved lighting system. This will include clear lenses that are after market. We spoke for about 15 minutes and the officer kept pointing to my KRS as an example of what a stock bike should look like including the stock exhaust system. (He checked out both of our pipes) The Deputy said that many young riders are modifying their bikes and the LEO's are starting to enforce vehicle codes aggressively. He said anything other than paint jobs will get scutinized for violations. He was pretty cool about the whole thing and let us two older guys 2 miles from home off with a warning but said that my brother should think about going back to the stock lights to avoid another chance for a ticket. Food for thought for any California riders. We were not speeding and the only thing he saw was the blinking tail light as he passed us going the other way. This was enough to come and chase us down and give Bro a warning. I have LED running lights and a blinking brake light. He said there were legal (like pumping your brakes) because they showed you were indeed braking. The running lights blinking are subject to confusion as to what a rider intends to do. I did not agree or disagree with what he had to say. He just wanted us to know a crack down on mods to bikes are underway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:04 am

GreEeAaAt!....well looks like im screwed, thanks for the heads up.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:27 am
Addict

it's commiefornia and nothing those dumb shits do surprise me, very beautiful state to visit but i wouldn't want to live there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:40 am
Veteran

It wouldn't bother me one bit to have a crackdown on loud pipes.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:45 am
Addict

Quote:
He was pretty cool about the whole thing and let us two older guys 2 miles from home off with a warning but..
Any particular reason why the warning included you?

I'd wait to see what happens over a period of time before putting any credence into what you were told about an increased enforcement regime down there, as they tend to tail off over the long haul. Hassling people over pipes that aren't bothering anybody (read: not loud) is a waste of time, especially in southern CA, where there are other bigger problems to worry about.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 1:38 pm
Veteran

why would you want blinking running lights for?.......have to have the mentality of cages......dont need to confuse them more than they already are....could you imagine blinking running lights with ring tones shit .....but really have to think like them.... ...there all in there own little world....phones ,gps, dvd player, shaver makeup, ..and if there reading the NY TIMES you know there f%#^&#

Last edited by BAK04GT; Aug 7th, 2006 at 3:28 pm.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

I stand corrected. I should have said he let my brother off with a warning and we took off riding. He found nothing wrong with my KRS. It was 100% DOT compliant. I guess I won't be buying that REMUS exhaust I wanted. As for the blinking lights, The bulbs have around 7 LED's and they illuminate one at a time and basically make a rotating circle. There is a running light on at all times but it shows light movement. Illegal.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Any discussion of the LED type brake lights that rapidly strobe for about 1/2 second immediately upon activation but then go solid?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Yes. I asked and showed the officer mine. I have the circuit board LED aftermarket set up. He said the running lights (solid) were fine and the blinking (increasing speed to a solid light) brake light was OK. Like I stated before,it is no different than pumping your brakes and flashing your brakes light manually. I got this exact set up. It's legal by what he explained. My set up uses the stock OEM lenses.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:21 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
It was 100% DOT compliant.
The bike or the exhaust? If he was referring to the exhaust, he's full of it. Look at the stock exhaust - there's no reference to any DOT regulation stamped on it. There is, however, a reference to EPA noise requirements about what bike that particular exhaust is suited for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
I guess I won't be buying that REMUS exhaust I wanted.
If you were adventurous, you could buy it and install it anyway. If you get pulled over and ticketed, but the officer doesn't bother measuring the sound output in the process and assumes that since it isn't stock it's against the law, he could be taken to court - the onus is on him to prove the law is being violated, and the mere existence of an aftermarket part on a bike is not evidence of such.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode