A Study Of Motorcycle Oils - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
Addict

A Study Of Motorcycle Oils

1 MB PDF file (28 pages) that I thought was an interesting read.
They test many of the popular brands head to head, and even Castrol GPS and Mobile 1 V-Twin oil.

Kind of neat.

Best to click and save, rather then open from the link. A STUDY OF MOTORCYCLE OILS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Rookie

great report thanks for sharing

K12Marine
98 k12RS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:13 pm

No surprise that Amsoil won. Great stuff. I've been using it since 1992. Thanks for posting. Good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Am I the only one who noticed

This study was done for Amsoil. It is stated in the affidavit. If it was an independant study I would give it more credibility. Not saying I don't think amsoil is a fine product just find it interesting that the oil sponsering the study won.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:48 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey55
This study was done for Amsoil. It is stated in the affidavit. If it was an independant study I would give it more credibility. Not saying I don't think amsoil is a fine product just find it interesting that the oil sponsering the study won.
I looked for something like that before I posted the link. I missed it in the affidavit darn it!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
I looked for something like that before I posted the link. I missed it in the affidavit darn it!!
Yes, this document has been circulated quite often on some of the other discussion boards. Its advertising material, not a real scientific study.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Have any of you tried Amsoil? They will rebuild your motor due to an oil related failure. Lots of Professional racers and teams use it religously. I suggest you give it a shot and see what you think. A cold winter half frozen engine will fire right up like its got warm oil inside. Their gearbox and drivetrain lubricants definately reduce rolling friction. It's not all hype. They wrote the book on synthetics after the discovery of additives. We can thank Nazi Germany for the original research and developement of synthetics back during world war 2. We got the technology for free to run with it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:34 pm

They didn't write the book on synthetic oil!!!!:p

The guy who started the company is retired Air Force I believe, and using synthetics in military aviation since Christ was a Private it was natural to carry it over to the auto industry....

We don't get high enough( altitude ) where its real cold nor do we get hot enough( the turbine section) in our motors to need this expensive of an oil...

We all change our oil long before the TBN breaks down in it ..........Regards Pete
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 7:00 pm

If they didn't write the book, they were the first to read and ammend it. Amsoil has been doing this since 1972. That's before anyone else could spell synthetic. There is a lot more to oil than thermal environments. Do a little reading before you continue to use the cheap stuff. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing for your engine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
Have any of you tried Amsoil? They will rebuild your motor due to an oil related failure. Lots of Professional racers and teams use it religously. I suggest you give it a shot and see what you think. A cold winter half frozen engine will fire right up like its got warm oil inside. Their gearbox and drivetrain lubricants definately reduce rolling friction. It's not all hype. They wrote the book on synthetics after the discovery of additives. We can thank Nazi Germany for the original research and developement of synthetics back during world war 2. We got the technology for free to run with it.
Never said Amsoil was no good! I'm sure works just fine. However, when I see one of these so called studies come out and claim a certain brand is the next best thing since the second coming (and usually published on that same product's website), I naturally raise an eyebrow. Oil is pretty much oil. I can show you "studies" that "prove" Quaker State blows all the synthetic competition away. Just like laywers, so called experts are a dime a dozen, and debates about which oil is better fill up countless thousands of discussion board pages across the web. Almost as bad as the debate about whether to reuse copper crush washers!

I think one of our other members sums it up best in his signature line:

GO RIDE...QUIT WORRYING ABOUT YOUR OIL

Last edited by matanuska; Aug 15th, 2006 at 7:11 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode