BMW Statement on E85 fuel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:45 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

BMW Statement on E85 fuel

E85 fuel and fuel blends containing ethanol or alcohol are becoming popular in the US market. Advertisements from other vehicle manufactures touting the use of such fuels are now in the mainstream media and catching the attention of our customers. It is important our customers are educated during contact with dealer personnel when the question is asked on the use of E85 ethanol or ethanol fuel blends. This will go a long way in ensuring our customers have a lasting and rewarding ownership experience.

The following frequently asked questions will help you prepare for conversations you may have with your customers regarding the use of E85 ethanol fuels or blended fuels.

What is E85 fuel or fuel blends?

E85 ethanol or fuel blends are fuels thatcontain a high percentage (above 10%) of alcohol, mainly ethanol.

What does BMW recommend?

BMW recommends the use of high octane (premium unleaded fuel), or premium unleaded fuel with low alcohol added (10% orless) for best performance and fuel efficiency.

What does the customerneed to know?

Fuels containing high amounts of alcohol (greaterthan 10%) can rob the customerís vehicle of performance and even create drivability issues such as stalling.

Can the use of E85 or blended fuels effect the vehicles warranty?

Fuels containing up to and including 10% ethanol or other oxygenates will not void the warranty.

Component damage/malfunctions, or any drivabilityp roblems caused by the use of fuels containing more than 10% ethanol (or other oxygenates) will not be covered under BMW warranties with respect to defects in material and workmanship.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
What does BMW recommend?

BMW recommends the use of high octane (premium unleaded fuel), or premium unleaded fuel with low alcohol added (10% orless) for best performance and fuel efficiency.
To what vehicles does this apply? My interpretation of the info in my owner's manual is that I should use what is marked as 89 or above in the US (R+M)/2

If this is copied from a web site, how about posting a link to the original info so we can check it out in context.

thanks,
hank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the Info. I meant to ask the local dealer what they thought about E85.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 1:14 pm
Would rather be riding

Octane vs Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB
To what vehicles does this apply? My interpretation of the info in my owner's manual is that I should use what is marked as 89 or above in the US (R+M)/2
Don't confuse the octane rating (87/89/92 typical around here) with the "85" in E85.

E85 means essentially "up to 85% alcohol". This is way more than the max 10% that BMW apparently tolerates. You need a modified vehicle (pretty much all the parts that touch the fuel are different) to burn E85. The octane rating of E85 is much higher than gasoline, typically over 100. (Read more on E85 fuel at Wikipedia)

Think of E85 the way you think of diesel fuel -- it's different from ordinary gasoline, and if you put the wrong kind in your tank you're not going to be happy -- get it out and put in gas instead. AFAIK there are no BMW motorcycles adapted for E85, at least not for commercial sale.

That said, there are plenty of gas stations that sell fuel with small amounts of alcohol added, and this gas will burn in any gasoline vehicle. Your mileage may not be quite the same, but nothing bad is going to happen.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 4:06 pm
Veteran

Results of tests I have seen done on tv indicated that ethanol takes you further. ULP , then PULP a last.

(That said, there are plenty of gas stations that sell fuel with small amounts of alcohol added, and this gas will burn in any gasoline vehicle. Your mileage may not be quite the same, but nothing bad is going to happen.[/QUOTE])
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 4:17 pm
Addict

Bob is right.
Yes most gasoline has Ethanol up to 10% here in Las Vegas and that % will vary around the country,
The E85 is 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol, in the winter they make it 70% so cars can start.
E85 must only be used in Flexible Fuel Vehicles = FFV.
It has more Octane 96 to 105 but gets BAD mileage about 15% less in most vehicles. For aggressive drivers (like Me) it will be a 20% fall off. So it should cost 15% less but it doesn't. The boys in the corn belt like it I guess? I think it sucks.

When I was in Wisconsin 2 years a go they had Gasoline with 15% ethanol. I got one fill up on my K1200RS and had to stop at NAPA parts store to get some additive so my buddys Harley would stay running. My bike ran but not very good till we got the fuel additive.

The EPA has been screwing with the gasoline foumula since the 90's there are 15 different kinds of fuel blends for Regular thanks to the EPA.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Addict

Also, regarding which octane is considered "premium", that changes by region/altitude doesn't it? So if the manual says 89 or higher, that might not always be premium? We can get away with midgrade here b/c we're so high (not us personally)

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode