Final Drive no longer maintenance free for 2007+ models - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Final Drive no longer maintenance free for 2007+ models

It appears that BMW has added a drain plug and are requiring a fluid flush of the rear drive unit at the 600 mile service only.

Quote:
Ongoing monitoring and long-term tests have confirmed thatwearin the final drive can be furtherminimized overthe service life ofthe motorcycle ifthe oil is changed once during the 600 mile service. Consequently, this oil change has been incorporated into the maintenance schedule as of model year 2007.

Long-term tests have found that not all traces of certain substances used in the process of manufacturing the gearset can be removed by subsequent cleaning. The non-metallic residues of these substances are released and bind with the oil while the final drive is being run in. An oil change as part of the 600 mile service flushes these particles out of the assembly before they have the opportunity of affecting bearing wear.

Subsequent oil changes, for example as part of the 12,000 mile inspection, show no practical benefit in this respect.

A new screw for the oil-drain bore has been introduced as of construction status MY2007. A magnet integrated in the screw ensures that metallic particles are separated out of the oil during the running-in period.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:12 am

Final Drive

And what might us owners of pre-2007 models do to prevent premature bearing wear??
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:52 am
Veteran

There has to be a provision for draining the rear drive of pre 07 bikes, doesen't there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:08 am

Rear drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
There has to be a provision for draining the rear drive of pre 07 bikes, doesen't there?
Yes, there is a plug. What I am questioning is, is BMW going to tell us pre 07's to get it changed?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:30 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200sforme
Yes, there is a plug. What I am questioning is, is BMW going to tell us pre 07's to get it changed?
Good question, but in reality, it would appear that you should get it changed (without waiting) and get a plug with a magnet on it if the current one doesn't have one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Where is the fill hole.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:11 pm
Let's Ride

My dealer (Omaha) changed my final drive fluid at no charge, when I was in for a tire change.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 5:32 am

Final Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r
Where is the fill hole.
The access plug is located on the rear side of the final drive. It is in a horizontal position and would need some sort of hypodermic device to remove the fluid. I would imagine if it is that serious BMW will have a procedure for people who do their own maintaince?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200sforme
The access plug is located on the rear side of the final drive. It is in a horizontal position and would need some sort of hypodermic device to remove the fluid. I would imagine if it is that serious BMW will have a procedure for people who do their own maintaince?
It really isn't that bad.

Short version:

You have to take off the paralever arm and (sometimes) brake caliper. you pull the speed sensor out and the drain plug (it looks like a fill plug since it is in the rear at center level.) and then rotate the housing down 90 degrees and drain it out. Then you measure the right amount to replace and fill it through the speed sensor hole. A lot more work than the old style, but really not that bad.

Make sure to use a new o-ring for the speed sensor and new nyloc nut on the paralever arm.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:14 am
Throttle Jockey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode