DGR Attendees: Riding the Dragon / Things Have Changed! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:52 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

DGR Attendees: Riding the Dragon / Things Have Changed!

With the Deals Gap Rally just 2 weeks away, I thought Iíd mention something that some of the regular attendees and our first timers might not be aware of... You may or may not want to plan your trip around this info...

FYI.. Iíve been to Deals Gap the last 2 weekends in a row and things have changed from a year ago.. or for that matter from as recent as 6 months ago.. A year ago the Tail of the Dragon was getting crowded on weekends, but if you got there early on Sat or Sunday you could usually run it until noon-1PM without too many obstacles.. (read: Harleys) and you could usually get a bite to eat in the restaurant in less than 15 minutes or so.. Itís not like this any more.

With, in my opinion, all the national and international press, Sat and Sundays on the Dragon are almost un-rideable at any hour of the day. The weekend before last I got up there VERY early on a Sat and the parking lot of the Crossroads of Time (where the Dragon starts) already had 200 bikes in it.. Iíd guess 90% Harleys.. It was hard to find a place to park. I asked the store owners and they said there was no rally in the area.. this was now normal.. Geezz.. I spoke to a few sport-bike guys and they said the Harleys were clogging up the Dragon making fast runs nearly impossible. I stayed a full 2 minutes, turned around, and came home.

Yesterday (Friday) I went back and at 10am there was almost 150 bikes in the parking lot... and on a WEEKDAY...not good for us.. great for the local businesses.. I made 3 passes (thatís 1866 curves in 3 hours!! WooHoo) and called it a day around 1pm. Thatís about all I can handle anyway, but I must have passed 40-50 Harleys in the 3 hours there.. Thatís a lot of passing on a road with few places to pass.. Iíd guess 90% of the passes were done in curves.

A year ago you might have to get by 2-5 bikes on a run. Harleys, touring rigs, new riders, etc. For those of you not used to passing other bikes on a tight twisty road.. keep in mind that if you donít.. youíll be stuck behind these noisy guys for agonizing mile after agonizing mile. But also keep in mind.. these guys/ladies also have as much right to be there as we do so show them a little respect and try NOT to scare the shit out of them by simply blowing by them.. Try to make sure they see you in their mirrors first, flash your lights (NOT your horn which can scare), before making your move. More often then not theyíll move over a little and wave you pass. I like to throw a hand up after the pass to let them know that I appreciate the gesture.

After I had quit for the day, I went in to get a Dragon burger and there must have been a line of 30 people..What the [email protected]#*? Not good if youíre hungry. The good news is.. the Topoco Lodge is about 5 minutes away and their dining room serves lunch until 2pm and they have the best burgers and fries in the area.. I rode down there and there wasnít one person in the dining room. It was empty. I had food in front of me in 5 minutes...Good food.

BTW.. they just paved that rough patch of road between the Crossroads of Time and the Topoco!!

My point is..(you were wondering if I had one, admit it.. ) .. If anyone is coming down for the rally to specifically burn up the Dragon, Iíd suggest you make the Dragon runs on Thursday and Friday and ride the other wonderful roads on Sat and/or Sunday.. The Cherohala, Hwy 28, etc... Those are MY plans..

See ya there..

PS... You first timers to the Dragon may want to check out my How To Survive the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deals Gap page at http://piratesk12site.net/Dragon.htm

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 6:36 am
Veteran

nothing that a few "ROAD TEMP CLOSED" signs wont take care of.. ...or have one day that its broken down into groups...early morning could be harleys mid day exp sport bikes and then late afternoon first timers...only one day of the week....it would have to be a respected rule how you would start one i have no idea....maybe thur the different clubs and a respected word of mouth?.......i should get a "cush" job at the UN.....hey Cofy......rides for gas?

Last edited by BAK04GT; Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:47 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:55 pm

The dragon has become the "it" place to ride. I'm hoping that within a few months, all those that want to try it will have tried it, and only the corner carvers will remain. I know that most Harley guys aren't really into driving the curvy mountain roads. It's just cool now. I'm hoping that they get tired of it and leave. It'll ruin a great road otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 7:44 pm

i'll be there coming up on that Thursday after my court date. guess for wait.....speeding
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:02 pm

So you think you got Harleys??

Say,

Come out to Reno, NV for Street Vibrations this week (Sept. 20-24). You want Harleys!!! You want straight pipes and endless parades of V-Twin revving at stop lights? You talk about 200 -- we have probably 15,000.

This is the only time I take off the Laser Can on my K12S just to be able to hear if the engine is running!

Dang, but BMW 4's are too quiet even without a silencer!

I was assured I could run with NO back pressure without burning a valve, so still do it just to try to get even -- but I am usually drowned out. Have you heard a K1200S at 10k rpm running out the header pipe! Wow! But, amazing that its still quiet compared to a V-Twin!

See you, or rather hear you there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode