Hit Deer on K1200GT - Now what? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Hit Deer on K1200GT - Now what?

The worst has happened, I hit a deer while riding in the Michigan UP. I was traveling about 62 mph and the deer RAN into me. Causing the bike to slide, me to flip off and it killed the deer. Pretty scary event all told. I have some gruesome pictures. The entire right hand side of the bike is toast, the front of the bike is smashed, the fitting to the oil coiler was ripped off, and is spewed oil all down the road.

I am sore and beat up, Full ATGATT - but all me gear is trashed, helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. I had a Hein Gerike Tibmuktu jacket, and it looks like it was eaten by a shark. The entire right arm is destoyed and I have some scratches on my arm. First Gear pants, destroyed the left leg. Over all I consider myself pretty lucky to be in as good shape as I am. My friend riding behind me was shocked I stood up after rolling about 150 yards down the asphalt.

So the bike was towed to a shop in the UP, no BMW dealer anywhere. Progressive is supposed to call me tomorrow to start the claim process. I have the police report, lots of pictures, and a bike 500 miles away. Any input anyone has to things to watch our for from Progressive or hauling or repair would be appreciated.

The guy on the phone said they might want to say it is totaled. Is that good or bad? How will I know if the front fork is screwed up? The deer was running so fast, that after we hit, it still slide 100 feet off the other side of the road! Does the comprehensive insurance cover gear? Electronics?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2004 K1200GT - 11,500 miles - about every available aftermarket mod possible - GPS, Sat radio, Radar, barbacks, Piaa lights, auto com.

Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Screw the bike....your vertical! Brother, if it is half as bad as you say, then your lucky as hell to be o.k. Money is money. You can always get/make more.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:37 am
Enthusiast

Sound like there is good chance bike is totaled. Yes your insurance should cover all of your gear. The gear is safety equipment. I have had my gear replaced when a car hit me in 2001. I would eat that dam deer just out of spite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:41 am

You certainly want to hope the bike is totalled! Would take a while for major repairs like that!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:51 am

Glad you're ok, bet you're sore today though.
When my '03 was totaled by an inattentive, untrained and unskilled HD rider, Progressive was great. The guy is a doctor, and only had 5/10/5 coverage on a one year old bike! I turned the claim into my progressive policy and got great response, had a check within 10 days. My bike went end for end down the road, every plastic piece was broken or scratched. Like yours, the oil pump connection was broken off, and the BMW dealer said the motor was shot because it was still running with the oil pumping out. The repair estimate was over $17K! Progressive paid for the bike and the accessories. All my safety gear (suit, helmet, boots & gloves) was replaced in addition to the basic policy.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:10 am
Enthusiast

Casey, glad to hear you're OK. Yeah, that time of the year when deer start acting a little crazy. Hope your insurance gets you squared away soon! Fall colors are starting up in UP and Northern WI. Hope you mend soon and get some more ride time before winter sets in.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:33 am

A friend of mine just totalled his bike. The frame was bent. They paid for his aftermarket items and clothing/protective gear. He actually made out pretty good overall. If you have receipts/cancelled checks for everything you bought for it, then get them together. Make a comprehensive list.

Keep us posted!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:42 am
Addict

glad to hear you're OK, like others have said the bike can be replaced, but your life can't so bravo for all the protective gear you had on. the only downside to totaling the bike is you'll probably lose money depending on how much you owed. insurance companies normally don't pay you retail when they total a vehicle so you'll likely get something much less unless you have gap insurance.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:33 am
Addict

glad to hear your ok!, first thing is to field dress the deer, dont be surprised if all you get is stew meat and jerky tho! I have progressive also and my policy will cover gear and acc up to 1500 I think. Also towing and a motel room if my memory serves me right.Get your copy and see what it says, I wouldnt just believe the agent.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:11 am
Addict

Glad you're ok

Dude, think of how fortunate you are!!! I'm so glad there's a happy ending to it all. I'm not sure if you stuff was armored or not but you might want to consdier motorport kevlar jacket and pants when you replace your stuff. It's pretty heavily armored and allegedly won't rip during pavement surfing. Might spare you some bruising during the tumbles.

I'm very interested in pics of the deer, your bike and the gear. It's reading forums like this that convinced me that ATGATT was the only way to ride.

Again, glad your ok,

Gravity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode