Ducati ST3 vs BMW K1200RS vs BMW K1200S...A Pirate's View - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:26 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Ducati ST3 vs BMW K1200RS vs BMW K1200S...A Pirate's View

Thought I'd share a comparo I just got finished with.. It's kinda long but a few here might find it a useful way to waste a few minutes of your overly long life...I wrote it for the upcoming newsletter..

You'll laugh.. you'll cry.. you'll wish you were out riding instead.. Enjoy or your money back..

http://piratesk12site.net/DucatiVS.htm

Later..

PS.. Opposing views/comments welcome..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:21 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Very interesting, Jerry! Seeing the three bike photos together prompts this question: Are you going to paint the ST3 white?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Nope, Sir Chuck..as a matter of fact ...while I had forgotten how much trouble it is to keep a black bike clean.. I really like the look of the black on the ST3.. So it is written..so let it be done...

FYI.. Ducati isn't even going to offer the limited edition black in 07 as they say everybody wants RED...I got one of the last black ones. O, well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Very interesting, Jerry! Seeing the three bike photos together prompts this question: Are you going to paint the ST3 white?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Thought I'd share a comparo I just got finished with.. It's kinda long but a few here might find it a useful way to waste a few minutes of your overly long life...I wrote it for the upcoming newsletter..

You'll laugh.. you'll cry.. you'll wish you were out riding instead.. Enjoy or your money back..

http://piratesk12site.net/DucatiVS.htm

Later..

PS.. Opposing views/comments welcome..

I don't own a BMW S bike, but I do own a 04 BMW KRS and a 05 Duc ST4s. I think your comparison comments are right on. I wish you would have ridden the Duc ST4s instead of the 3. There is a big difference in power and the ST4s comes with Ohlins so the ride is better from the start.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually I did look at the ST4S, but... virtually everyone I talked to told me the ST3 has better low end torque and a better powerband, unlike the 4 which is geared more for top end.. On the low end the ST3 actually makes more power.

Also. the ONLY ST4S' that were available had ABS... a deal breaker and $2000 more.. Would have loved to have had the Ohlins but as this bike will never do duty as my "designated" sport bike... the Sachs will be fine... for now.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:31 am

comparo

Good read...thanks Pirate.

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Enthusiast

Pirate,

In your studies did you look into the ST2? I know its not all that, but I may have a chance to pick one up used with low miles. I really like my S, but would love to add to the stable.

Paul

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:29 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

No i didn't, El Barto... I think the ST2's were replaced by the ST3's, but I did speak with at least a dozen ST2 owners and virtually every one of them loved their bikes...

If you are thinking seriously about one, you should check out the Ducati chat site at http://www.ducati.ms/forums/index.php? Like this site.. it's a wealth of information and run by some good people... I'm learning as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Barto
Pirate,

In your studies did you look into the ST2? I know its not all that, but I may have a chance to pick one up used with low miles. I really like my S, but would love to add to the stable.

Paul

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:39 pm
Veteran

In your article you mention the stock tone of the RS sounding like a Maytag....It was hard but i need to put my 2gold coins in.......it s more like a coffee grinder..GE model CG 23k one early summer morning as the dew dripped from the giant hemlock that towered above..... the wash of orange sun burst as it rose above the hills silloweted(spell dont have this word) gazing across the green pasture of life...."GET TO THE POINT MAN!" ok... whilst warming up the GT my brother in the kitchen was grinding some beans....some of that good" Columbian stuff"....and whilst walking thru the door i notice that stereo effect....head in the door....

head out the door...could not believe me ears....same damn sound!.....he reved his and i mine....same again....but no comparison on the road....the CG23K didnt mount to a hill of "beans"...thats all i gota say about that

Last edited by BAK04GT; Sep 25th, 2006 at 5:41 pm.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:28 pm

More thought...

You said " One is just Leaps and bounds above the others."

Ducati BMW S BMW RS
Handeling 1 2 3
Power 3 1 2
Smooth 3 2 1
Brakes 1 2 3
Sound 1 2 3
Touring 1.5 3 1.5
Ergos 1 2 3
TOTAL 11.5 14 16.5

As I read the article, I felt like you were saying you liked the S better, but the totals show the Duc. Did you ever consider the new K1200GT? As is sounds like that might be the perfect mix.

The good new for me is I just lost my K1200GT to a deer (see other post!) and the machines I like are the Ducati ST3, K1200S and new K1200GT.

How much are you worried about maintance on the Ducati?

Thanks for input,

Casey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode