North .. to Alaska! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

North .. to Alaska!

So I am thinking about a trip from Los Angeles to Achorage Alaska.. and wanted to talk to talk to anyone who might have information that is important to consider before taking such a trip.

I am planning it to be a 3 week adventure and taking one of the fine new K12GT machines. I have recently done a ride across the United States and back so I have a feel for the miles.

The questions are:

- What are the road conditions?
- If I go in June will weather by my friend?

Anything else to consider?

-mark=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMGT
So I am thinking about a trip from Los Angeles to Achorage Alaska.. and wanted to talk to talk to anyone who might have information that is important to consider before taking such a trip.

I am planning it to be a 3 week adventure and taking one of the fine new K12GT machines. I have recently done a ride across the United States and back so I have a feel for the miles.

The questions are:

- What are the road conditions?
- If I go in June will weather by my friend?

Anything else to consider?

-mark=
That sounds like a trip I would do but on a GS. I need to do my homework as well. I might suggest this site as a good resource. www.advrider.com

If this seriously looks like it will come together, let me know and I may join you in Seattle.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 9:48 pm

I considered doing the seattle to anchorage ride, too, when I was first looking at the GS. I've been told by my AK friends that the road is now completely paved, with the exception of the occasional section of roadwork, and that you can do it just fine on a road bike.

Mile Post is the publication to pick up or find online. That's the guide that will tell you the spacing of gas stations and lodging. Might even tell you where the construction is occurring.

My idea was to ride north and then catch a ferry back down, but I'm told that the ferry system doesn't go all the way up to Anchorage, requiring a significant amount of travel (I think any travel in AK requires a significant amount of time due to its size.).

Anyway, then I got a K12R and my need to travel far-afield was replaced with my need to go really really fast.

Short answer: Mile Post. http://www.themilepost.com/ Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:01 am
Enthusiast

Mark, I rode to Alaska from Virginia and back in 2003 on my K12RS. The road is paved all the way with sections under repair. I did the trip in August, by that time a great majority of repairs were done or almost done. I think June is nice weather, but the repair season is just started. Also consider the RV crowd is heading north in June also, could make for some slow ride stuck behind RV's a lot. In August I encountered only one group of RV's going North, most were coming south early August. I left Alaska on Labor Day weekend by taking the Alaska ferry from Skagway all the way to Bellingham, Wa. The return trip on the Alaska ferry took 3 days, was great. Take your own tie down straps if you go the ferry. If you have the time go to Chicken Alaska, way cool.

Randy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Enthusiast

Alaska

I have not done the ride but have lived in Alaska several times.

Question - "Will weather be my friend?" Answer - you had better be prepared for all types of weather. It is highly doubtful that you would get snow in June but likely to have cold, rain, sun and everything in between.

Anchorage is a terrific place in the summer - in fact all of Alaska and the NW is wonderful.
You might think to book rooms in advance if going to Anchorage as it can get pretty busy in the summer months.

I am also thinking of making the trip in the next year or two. I will probably try to travel in July - just improves the odds of getting the best of the summer weather.

Let us know if you make the trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode