New fines in California for 2007 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 7:55 am Thread Starter

New fines in California for 2007

TRAFFIC VIOLATION FINES AS OF JANUARY 1, 2007

Updates on traffic Violation Fines:

1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 1/1/07 (NOT $271, posted on the highway is old).
2nd time offense - Doubled. 3rd time - Tripled. 4th time License Suspension.

2. Incorrect lane change $380. Improper lane lane crossing of solid lines or intersection

3. Block intersection - $485

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use while driving. - Double fine
Cell phone use while driving in the construction zone. - Double the
fine.

6. Passengers over 18 not on the seatbelts - Both driver and
passenger(s) get tickets.
No “Trunking” - Both driver and “Trunk” passenger - Fines and
Points in Driving Record.

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit. Street racing commits felony
on injuries.

8. DUI = JAIL

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo.htm

New Laws for 2007

This listing does not contain all of the bills enacted in 2006 that made changes to the California Vehicle Code. Only those having a significant impact are referenced. For complete information on chaptered bills enacted in 2006, please refer to the legislative website at www.leginfo.ca.gov
Unless otherwise indicated, these new laws become effective on January 1, 2007 and are divided into the following categories:

* Vehicle Registration
* Driver License
* Occupational Licensing
* Records Access & Confidentiality

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/n...06/2006-42.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vcpdf/divisions/18.pdf

http://www.aaa-calif.com/corpinfo/06...rist_laws.aspx

http://www.aaa-calif.com/corpinfo/cvc_changes_2006.pdf

http://www.lacar.com/modules.php?nam...rticle&sid=751
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:01 am
Addict

Yikes, this state doesn't miss a beat when it comes to taking your money away...and I was whining about MI and their revenue collecting methods initiated by the gov'ner.

I really do wonder how the hell people afford to live here.

good riding! ....geo
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
It's simple - don't plan on buying a home here if you're not making at least $100K/yr.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 1:58 pm
Addict

The first 4 are really the result of overcrowding in urban areas during rush hour. OK revenue collection as well.

THe HOV lanes, which as a motorcyclist is always legal, seem to be a special lane for many folks driving luxury imported cars when they are in a hurry and alone, you know the types they also park in fire lanes while they just run in to Starbucks to get a double mocha.....

Improper lane change same kind of thing, wait till the last minute to change lanes across solid lines becuase the freeway is splitting and you can get 6 extra cars lenghts.....

Blocking intersections while each red light cycle allows only 3 cars through....

Driving on the shoulder, another lane for the importaint people..... Actually I had a cop try to tag me on this while I was on my old sportster........

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:42 pm
Addict

I guess that makes sense...the traffic is pretty brutal but most folks on the xway's seem pretty cool, so far. I don't bother going anywhere during the heavy rush hours though.

We had special people in MI too, but usually they drive the oldest rustiest pickups you can find with big bumpers Like, where does an elephant sit kind of thing...

I wouldn't drive on the shoulder unless I'm metal collecting!

I'm hoping the call from our prez for a 20% reduction in gas consumption plays well for bikers. Maybe they'll make biking mandatory for solo drivers

happy trails....geo
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:59 pm

This is COMPLETE BS!!!!

I totally call BS on this post... please read the following CA vehicle code which describes maximum penalties for traffic violations. Block intersection has a max fine under what is given.

The only alaw I have found that is associated with cell phone usage is CA veh. code: 23123, and the fines are specifically outlined, which goes into effect 2008.

There is never any mention in the CA vehicle code that stipulates that speeders can exceed the limit by 3 MPH. Law enforment have the authority to cite you exceeding 1 MPH over the posted limit. No if, then, or but!

Street Racing is not a felony when an injury is involved. please read veh code: 23109.2, which becomes operative 1/1/07 and pretains to stolen vehicles used in races.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_..._contents.html

Hope this sheds light on the subject.

ONON-
Mark
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 8:04 am
Enthusiast

The fines for improper use of HOV lane are troubling no matter waht the actual amount is. Law provides motorcyclists the right to use these lanes legally but it seems that some states and judges are having a hard time with that fact. Ther is an interesting article in this months American Motorcyclist magazine on this subject. Several riders are fighting court battles that are costing them hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:36 am Thread Starter

I have to agree with Pathogen on a lot of the references in this post. I forwarded it from another site before I investigated the information. My bad. If I see someone on a cell phone, I just try to cause an accident and blame it on them...........
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:56 am
I'm riding

What means "driving on the shoulder"?
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Yikes, this state doesn't miss a beat when it comes to taking your money away...and I was whining about MI and their revenue collecting methods initiated by the gov'ner.

good riding! ....geo
Maybe obeying the law now makes economic sense!!! I think traffic fines should be increased every where. They obviously are not high enough when people continue to disregard traffic laws. If it were about revenue generation why wouldn't the fines be even higher? And it seems that they aren't taking your money away, you are choosing to give it up for the right to violate the law.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode