first self oil change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

first self oil change

well, I finally got around to changing the oil myslef instead of having the dealer do it. what a PITA compared to my Ducati. I'm not complaining about the fairing removal, that's an acceptable tax on fully faired bikes, but having to remove the oil pan to access the filter up inside the engine cavity??? It felt like a prostate exam

Anyway, I followed the instructions in the Clymers manual, warmed up the engine, drained the oil until it stopped dripping, removed the oil pan plate, removed the filter with the special wrench (that required a second trip back to the dealer), replaced the crush washer on the oil drain plug, reinstalled the plug, changed the o-ring on the oil pan plate, lubed it with clean oil, lubed the o-ring on the new filter with clean oil, installed the filter with the special wrench, installed the plate and tightend all "snugly".

The manual states the bike has a 3.7 quart capacity, I put in 3 qts, until the site glass was half full, ran the bike for minute to get it pumping into the system then shut it off added a little more, repeat the running and adding part until the level stayed just slightly above the center of the site glass. In the end it took 3.5 quarts.

Is it normal to have a difference of a few onces when changin the oil? I imagine there are some areas within the engine where oil pools and will never drain, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

thanks.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 2:11 am
Looking for better limits...

Ya know, I understand the question. Two things...you don't know what they measured against with the manual, and the site glass says the oil is at the dot. Check the oil level after a hundred miles or so (center stand, right?), then again at a thousand. 0.2 quarts is almost 8 oz (or 1 cup). Sounds like a significant amount to me. But, how many nooks and crannies are there? If the oil is at the dot, you're good. If the oil is at the dot at 6k miles later? You're golden...but it's time to change the oil.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 4:18 am
Addict

I drained the oil until no more came out, took off the filter (some more ran down my arm) , took out the motor, took off the water and oil pumps and what seemed like a 1/4 pint of oil was falling out of the oil pump cavities over my feet!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 5:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
well, I finally got around to changing the oil myslef instead of having the dealer do it. what a PITA compared to my Ducati. I'm not complaining about the fairing removal, that's an acceptable tax on fully faired bikes, but having to remove the oil pan to access the filter up inside the engine cavity??? It felt like a prostate exam

Anyway, I followed the instructions in the Clymers manual, warmed up the engine, drained the oil until it stopped dripping, removed the oil pan plate, removed the filter with the special wrench (that required a second trip back to the dealer), replaced the crush washer on the oil drain plug, reinstalled the plug, changed the o-ring on the oil pan plate, lubed it with clean oil, lubed the o-ring on the new filter with clean oil, installed the filter with the special wrench, installed the plate and tightend all "snugly".

The manual states the bike has a 3.7 quart capacity, I put in 3 qts, until the site glass was half full, ran the bike for minute to get it pumping into the system then shut it off added a little more, repeat the running and adding part until the level stayed just slightly above the center of the site glass. In the end it took 3.5 quarts.

Is it normal to have a difference of a few onces when changin the oil? I imagine there are some areas within the engine where oil pools and will never drain, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

thanks.

make sure you have the old filter o ring....they love to stay on the filter flange when changing filter.....i have never had one come out with the filter...each time i had to reach up and pull it out....very important!!!!....FYI

Last edited by Razel; Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:32 am. Reason: Fixed tags
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 7:47 am

Oil Level in Sight Glass

Just a reminder....the owner's manual says to check the oil level on a regular basis of course..but not cold...I believe the procedure is to let the bike warm up for a minute or so, then check the level after it settles for another minute or so. I've not found much difference between the cold level and the warm...but I do trust the BMW engineers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
make sure you have the old filter o ring....they love to stay on the filter flange when changing filter.....i have never had one come out with the filter...each time i had to reach up and pull it out....very important!!!!....FYI
thanks for tip! the manual says to check for that as well. Mine was still attached to the filter. The oil had been changed only a month ago prior to my Utah/Colorado trip. I did 3500 miles in 9 days on that trip so I thought it would be good to put fresh oil in now that I'm back to every day riding.

Marty S.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:16 am
Veteran

Marty

On your next oil change, fill the new oil filter before you install it. You'll have less time with no oil pressure on initial start-up.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Marty

On your next oil change, fill the new oil filter before you install it. You'll have less time with no oil pressure on initial start-up.
Thanks Bruce, my son said the same thing... now I'll have to tell him that someone else agrees with him :p

Marty S.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:33 am
Enthusiast

One last thing

...since we're into specifics here; when you lubricate the rubber flange on the oil filter, use the OLD oil that you have drained out of the engine. It is "broken down", and will do a much better job at sealing the filter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 1:33 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
Thanks Bruce, my son said the same thing... now I'll have to tell him that someone else agrees with him :p

Cripes!!!, don't tell him. Things like will go to his head!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode