Need Input Urgently- KRS Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Need Input Urgently- KRS Question

Hi folks. I need to ask for help in an urgent fashion.

I am shopping for a K12RS and found a very likely candidate. The only issue is the mileage. It has over 50k miles and I cannot seem to get reliable info if this is high, or low, or irrelevant. Lets assume the required maintenance has been done as I think it has been.

In a BMW auto I would call 50k as young middle age. Certainly broken in but still in the prime. My R-bike oilhead is thought to be just getting broken in at 50k. My main-man mechanic (who is not available) says that on the oilhead- 50k is not an issue and forget about it. My bike runs and feels like the 56k on the clock is irrelevant.

Is the K-bike the same or somehow different?

I would REALLY appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter- but I need it quickly as a decision point is very near.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 7:56 am
Addict-oholic

How old is the bike? 50K is not unusual for these bikes. Many folks on this foum have almost 100K and the bikes are running just fine.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Sorry- I forgot to say it is a '98... been "in service" more or less since new, no storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:14 am

If it's a fair price and maintained well, you'll be able to put another 100k on it.

Post pics after you buy it!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:59 am
Addict

5500 miles a year is not abnormally high. Sitting for long times without use is more of a concern - still could be an issue with this bike as it may have had 2 owners.

I believe that all recent air/oil -head boxers as well as the K-series brick motors have Nikasil coated cylinders. These motors have more gasket and seal problems than most but usually these issues are taken care of early in life. Look for signs of this where the engine and transmission meet and at the rear of the shaft-universal boot near the rear hub.

Make sure fluids have been changed regularly - brake fluid and coolant are as important as oils in some environments. Changing them every 2 years shows conscientious care.

Ask for the VIN and check with a local dealer for the service history. Paperwork is key for a well-maintained bike, even if it is owner maintained.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

It has had three owners but the current one has offered to provide the names and contact info for the previous ones. They were all "BMW people"... and know what they were doing.

The current owner has a business relationship with the local BMW dealership and they apparently took good care of the bike as part of that deal. I am certain a paper trail exists.

Is the Nikasil issue a problem like it was in the cars? I had an entire engine replaced under warranty in my ...what was it... 93 or 94 740i. No cost warranty deal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 3:25 pm
Addict

Sounds like you have the right contacts. It doesn't hurt to ask the dealer to look up the service details of the bike.

I understood the problem with the Nikasil to be high sulfur gas which is not common in the US. I'm sure it messes with the Catalytic converters. Using premium is a good practice anyway. I've not heard of any chronic bike issues with the cylinder coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
It has had three owners but the current one has offered to provide the names and contact info for the previous ones. They were all "BMW people"... and know what they were doing.

The current owner has a business relationship with the local BMW dealership and they apparently took good care of the bike as part of that deal. I am certain a paper trail exists.

Is the Nikasil issue a problem like it was in the cars? I had an entire engine replaced under warranty in my ...what was it... 93 or 94 740i. No cost warranty deal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Short and straight answer:

It all depends on the asking price and how much you're willing to spend for a KRS/GT.

Personally, for a '98 with 50K miles and very well mantained I would not spend over $5K, unless of course it is loaded with accessories, which in that case I would go up to max $6K.

These days you can find a good 2001-2002 with less than 30K miles and in excellent conditions for as low as $7K from a private person.

BMWs bikes are good machines overall but they have problems too, and when problems occurs they are very expensive to fix.

Good luck!

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode