Another fuel line QD failure... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Another fuel line QD failure...

Well it happened to me this weekend and thanks to this forum I was prepared. Lazy but prepared.

I purchased QDs from Omega and hadn't gotten around to installing them yet [couple of months] but had them in my tankbag. A fellow rider noticed stains on my bike before a ride Sunday, but I disregarded it as a messy, recent oil change.

After a 150 mile ride, while stopped at a light, I noticed a spewing fountain to the right. I was on my way to a local BMW club meeting which was about 4 miles away, so I pressed on with some worry.

After the meeting, swapped out the offending QD and things were fine again. Thanks to this forum for the heads up. 2002 K1200RS with 41K miles. One final note, fuel mileage suffers greatly when spraying fuel into the atmosphere. I used well more than 1/2 a tank to ride 65 miles since my last fill up and noticing the geyser.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Veteran

You are lucky that the fuel didn't ruin the engine paint!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Or ignite!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:55 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws
Or ignite!
That would most assuredly be worse.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:31 am
Addict

QD-Do You Need It?

Well I lost my QD back in April in Atlanta rush hour traffic on my way to Barber for the AMA race. I was fortunate enough to make it to the hotel. We took a taxi to the Vortex bar and grill where a wonderfully nice lady heard of my problem, after I cried about it, and drove me just down the street to a Lowe's Home Improvement where I bought a few various size brass hose couplers. She was a true angel for her unselfish deed. I believe it was 5/16" O.D. double male, w/two mini-clamps. The next morning we were on our way after about 1/2 hour for install. Anyway, that fitting is still on, after several thousand more miles. I was surprised however that no fuel at all came out when I took loose the old QD. So I look at it like, Is the QD really necessary? If no fuel came out then, with about 1/2 tank of fuel, what's the big deal having a QD when you take off the tank for various maintenance under it? I'll just take one mini-clamp loose, yank the hose end off and get after it, Is a QD really needed? This set up is allot cheaper than any QD and is much safer than a BMW one. We all could ignite when this melt down occurs, we are all very lucky.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I finally got around to removing the right side fairing to replace the 2nd quick disconnect and did notice that my engine casing has been stained brown by the fuel leak.

Any tips on a product that might help remove the stain? I've tried a few polishes and compounds but there is still a visable stain.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 5:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrouse
I finally got around to removing the right side fairing to replace the 2nd quick disconnect and did notice that my engine casing has been stained brown by the fuel leak.

Any tips on a product that might help remove the stain? I've tried a few polishes and compounds but there is still a visable stain.

None that I know of. I have a very slight stain on the crankshaft cover, but it is hidden by the plastic.

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
So I look at it like, Is the QD really necessary?
Exactly...I finally opt'd to NOT replaced mine with the Omegas i ordered (they are the wrong size that was floating around on the site). Stealer replaced (under warranty) with OEM crap again. Next fuel filter replacement, I will just put the $3 brass fitting and the $2 14mm F.I. clamps back on...A flat head screw driver and about one minute of my time every few months is quick enough for me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 4:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
Exactly...I finally opt'd to NOT replaced mine with the Omegas i ordered (they are the wrong size that was floating around on the site). Stealer replaced (under warranty) with OEM crap again. Next fuel filter replacement, I will just put the $3 brass fitting and the $2 14mm F.I. clamps back on...A flat head screw driver and about one minute of my time every few months is quick enough for me.

Andy
What you are doing is a true enough way to go and much better than the plastic Q/D's. But I wonder if the original(BMW) reasoning behind installing the Q/D's was so that the inside of the fuel line was not torn up by r&r of the high pressure fuel line every time the tank is removed??

I'm not trying to stir the Q/D pot, but just throwing out an idea.

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode