Ohlins setup - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Ohlins setup

How are most people setting up their new Ohlins suspension....extremely firm or very plush or somewhere in between?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:14 am
Looking for better limits...

Mine are set on the firm side of half-way. There are a few road surfaces that are a bit of a challenge, but not enough to have me rebuild them softer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 1:22 pm
Enthusiast

Smile shocks

0n my 02 k12rs (ohlins) the front is set at 8mm pre-load,rear pre-load solo 4 truns from soft,2 up add 1 1/4 more turns other setting are at half-way
,works good for my on all roads.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for your replies. I'm considering going a bit more plush on my next set of tires. It is kind of a pain to adjust the front...that tiny wrench hurts my hands. It's difficult to get to as well if you are hamfisted like me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 7:57 am

Thumbs up

I set mine up both ways, that's the beauty of having them.

When I know that I'll be on the Hwy, I have the rear shock adjusted so it's soft making for a very plush ride while I'm traveling towards the twisties.

If I know that I'm going to be in the Mt's, I dial up the compression knob 5 or 6 clicks and the rebound knob 2 clicks to stiffen them up. I back them off again when I know I'll be doing the slabs for awhile afterwards.

I leave the pre-load alone unless my bags are full and need to compensate for the extra weight.

No shock is perfect for both types of roads, unless you adjust them. What works well on a slab is not going to work as well in the twisties.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

In that case, I'm going to have to unwind the front since it's cranked up almost all the way!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogypsy
In that case, I'm going to have to unwind the front since it's cranked up almost all the way!
You mean ....... unload the pre-load? Unfortunately, that's all I can do with my front one. It's not more than an expensive car shock, in that reguard.

I took my bike to a suspension guy and had him help me set the pre load (Sag) and I make the finer adjustments on the compression and rebound as needed.

FYI: Lindermannn Engineering is usually out a Willow Springs for the club races every third weekend of the month and they can help you with this for a small charge, since your in SoCal anyway.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode