Steering lock disabled by knockover - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Steering lock disabled by knockover

Yesterday my heart sank for an old Yamaha on its side in NYC. It even inspired me to post the question what parking techniques can minimize the chance of a knockover on one of the other forums.

Last night, my K1200RS was also knocked over. No note, nothing.

Fortunately, mine didn't go all the way down and the plastic was spared as the right bar caught the bumper of the car in front of it. First glance, the only damage appeared to be the mirror spun around.

Moved it across the street (alternate side of the street parking) and found my steering lock is not functional. The key turns to the lock position with some resistance but it doesn't lock the steering. I find it strange that a security feature like this could be disabled by using the bike's own weight.

I couldn't find the diagram on my favorite fiches but this appears to be the Steering Lock Assembly - 51252313183:
http://webparts.com/cycles/fichecont...lename=K1200GT

I've got the The BMW Motorrad Repair manual (pdf) shows drilling and using a stud-remover. I've also read a blurb on chiseling the bolt out by spinning it one tap at a time.

I don't have the tools or my Clymer here to dig into it but maybe I can get some ideas on what to expect or maybe some tips. I'm a few blocks from the dealer and can pick up parts before I leave. I'm assuming a couple of fracture bolts are in order.

What is most likely damaged?
Do you think it is restricted to the Steering Lock housing or is the steering head or frame involved?
Do I need to fear the lock may engage while driving in the current state?
Anything else to check?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:12 am

Lightbulb Knockover and Lock Not Working

You raise a good point about re-engagement of the steering lock when you don't want it to. If disassembly is a possibility, I would do so, and if repair is difficult, I suggest a disc lock.

Also, you might want to see the posting I've made on this forum, as well as the classified/accessories section for my Get Me Home Shift Linkage Repair Kit. THIS KIT will offer you an outstanding option for similar situations. Very Cheap Insurance.

Steve 2003 K1200rs, in Cool Black!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode