What mileage could I reasonable expect ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 1:52 pm Thread Starter
JIS

What mileage could I reasonable expect ?

Iím just curious. Many post relate to bikes with such LOW mileage (<10,000 miles). Assuming that your K12GT has been well looked after, properly serviced. What should we expect ? 80k miles (say)?

Have any of you got some high mileage K1200s ?

Guys; reading the first reply means that there is a misunderstanding. I am not discussing mpg! I am talking about MILEAGE i.e could I expect at least 80,000 miles from the engine / gearbox without a major rebuild?

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Last edited by JIS; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 2:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 2:09 pm

Mileage

John,
I have a 2004 K1200GT which is coming up on 33K. I bought it as a demo model with 700 miles on it in 2005. I commute everyday to work and see about 41MPG. This is Freeway and stop and go in the Seattle Traffic. The mileage has been consistent even when I went to California last year. I do notice I can get it to drop to 30+MPG if I'm out hot rodding.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahomawa
John,
I have a 2004 K1200GT which is coming up on 33K. I bought it as a demo model with 700 miles on it in 2005. I commute everyday to work and see about 41MPG. This is Freeway and stop and go in the Seattle Traffic. The mileage has been consistent even when I went to California last year. I do notice I can get it to drop to 30+MPG if I'm out hot rodding.
If a new model K engine won't go 200,000 miles, it's a POS.

Last edited by Bent; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:40 pm

I think you can expect somewhere between 200K miles and 300K miles before the engine or transmission need to be rebuilt.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:06 pm

34,000 miles on my K1200RS. No major work or repair needed. Runs like a new bike. I do all the maintenance myself (except for the brake fluid flush every 12 months, which I will be learning about in a few weeks).

92,000 miles on my R1100RT. Replaced the clutch at 55,000 due to leaking rear main seal which contaminated the clutch plates. No other major work or repair needed. Runs like it did new.

No rear end issues at all. I run Amsoil synthetic 75-140 gear oil in the rear end and tranny, nothing thinner. I run 4 stroke motorcycle oil in the engine, not synthetic, but change it every 3000 miles without fail. BMW or Bosch oil filters. I check the engine's compression every 6 months or so, and both bikes are above "good", meaning rings etc... should be in good shape.

I believe the outward appearance will be an indicator as to how well the bike was taken care of, provided a dealer has not gone and detailed it for sale. A guy who drops and does not repair his bike, and doesn't touch up rock chips, probably doesn't do the normal maintenance either.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:03 pm
Addict

mileage expectations

my '04 kgt just turned 2yrs old last month. i have 35k miles on it. i traded a harley, because i didnt think their engines were designed for high mileage. i expect 250,000 miles with my k. i do my own maintenance, but also just purchased a 5 yr extension on my bumper to bumper warranty. the extended is for unlimited mileage. i ride very conservative, and take real good care of the bike. i generally get 17-18k miles on tires, mostly cruising. these are small automobile engines, and should last like one, if well kept. my mantra? engines run on oil and water. fresh oil, dont overheat..........engine should last virtually forever.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm
Will ride for picts

A reference point: I have an '03 GT, purchased new in February of 2004. After 40 months and 67,000 miles, I have had no major engine issues. The rear main seal, transmission input seal, and clutch slave cylinder were serviced at 35,000 miles, just before it went out of warranty. The rear main will be serviced next week, again under warranty (2-year repair window). I do not have an extended warranty.

I routinely bounce it off the rev limiter on upshifts. The engine still pulls as hard as it did after it broke in... even with a money shift thrown in by accident. It does use a bit of oil, usually a half quart between oil changes. It rarely does the sidestand smoking bit.

The bike has been dealer serviced from day one (ouch), and was switched to synthetic around the 18k or 24k mark.

I fully expect the engine to last well over 100k miles.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:49 pm

K12 Longevity

You have asked a very subjective questionthat could develop into a web site of its own. However, the real question is; What constitutes reasonable mileage?
My LT had 106K miles (replaced water pump, differential/rear drive, master cyclinder, xmission output shaft, etc.) on it when it traded it for the new GT. My Triumphs (2 955s) had over 15K miles each in 14 months without any repairs before I broke them.
So far my 07 GT has just over 13K miles in 5 months without any issues. For that matter my 69 Trident had over 170K miles on it before it was stolen and wrecked.
Bottom line for me is that I expect the GT to go at least 100K miles without major work.
EJ
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:14 pm
Rookie

I've got 80k miles on my 98krs. With a lot of a little problems and a couple of bigger ones. for the most part she is very trustworthy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 3:11 am
Addict

I've had cars needing nothing more than oil, batteries, fuel, tires and pads for 100K miles.

K bikes may need clutches, clutch slaves, engine seals, rear drive bearings/seals, front fork seals, swingarm bearings - all of which could run to 1/4 the original cost of the bike at dealer service rates.

Perhaps this is normal for all motorcyles, but you have to wonder when paying a premium price over other brands, if you really are buying better reliability or just paying for the brand name.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode